Ms. Kilar's Class News
Thursday, May 26, 2016
- Reading: We reviewed story structure. Students focused on identifying characters, plot and setting in a fiction story.
- Writing: The students worked on revising and editing their science fiction and realistic fiction stories.
- Grammar: We review comparative and superlative adjectives.
Science and Social Studies
- Science: This week we learned about where on Earth mountains, volcanoes and earthquakes happen. We also did a fun experiment about different types of volcanoes and lava. We learned why some volcanoes explode and some the lava just bubbles out slowly.
- Social Studies: This week we had a beautiful day to walk to the Harbor Springs Historical Society. Ms. Cummings taught us all about Ephraim Shay and his inventions and life in Harbor Springs. The students are spending the last few weeks of school researching and completing projects to be displayed at the museum during Shay days this July.
- May 30 - No School
- June 2 - Field trip to Tahquamenon Falls and Great Lakes Shipwreck Museum (Returning around 6:30)
- June 9 - Sleeping Bear Dunes (we will be returning around 6:30pm)
- June 13, 14, 15 - School Dismisses at 11am
- June 14 - Shay Triathlon
- June 15 - Last Day of School- 4th grade will be swimming up at the pool first thing in the morning
- If you know you'd like to help chaperone one of our June field trips please let me know.
Field Trips - Parent Info
Parents, if you are planning to attend one of our field trips in June you need to be sure you've filled out our Volunteer Release Form. If you've already filled one out for the 2015-16 school year you are all set. If you haven't volunteered in the classroom or come on a previous field trip you will need to stop by the office to pick up a form or download one from our school website.
Field Trip - Kid Info
There is spelling, math, and grammar homework coming home this Friday. It will be due next Friday, June 3 because of the field trip on Thursday.
- Spelling: New spelling list, front and back of the spelling worksheet, and practice games on Spelling City.
- Math: Front and back of the worksheet