Wachusett Wellness Newsletter
THEME OF THE MONTH: STRESS MANAGEMENT
"Stress happens when you think you have to figure out everything all at once. Breathe. You're strong. You got this. Take it day by day." -Karen Salmansohn
DID YOU KNOW?!
Stress is a feeling or physiological response that occurs when we face any life situation where we feel our ability to cope is challenged. The purpose of this day is to identify and try to reduce the stress in your life.
Don't Take the "Bait" When Your Stress Tries to Get the Best of You!
MOUNTAINEER CHALLENGE OF THE MONTH: Participate in Stress Awareness Day
Here are some ways to observe #StressAwarenessDay all month long:
1. Go for a walk
2. Try to eat healthy, well-balanced meals
3. Exercise - your body can fight stress better when you live an active lifestyle!
4. Relax and listen to some music
5. Make time for the hobbies and interests you enjoy
6. Add time into your schedule to get and stay organized - it will help!
7. Leave reminders on your Chromebook to take a deep breathe!
Teens need 8 to 10 hours of sleep for good health.
Sleep is so important. There are many benefits to getting enough sleep:
1. Sleep can boost your immune system
2. Can help you maintain a healthy weight
3. It can strengthen your heart
4. It can lift your mood
5. It can increase your productivity at school
6. It can benefit your physical health and exercise performance
7. It can improve your memory
Ways to Sleep Smarter according to the Alliance for a Healthy Generation
Keep It Dark and Comfortable
- Choose pillows, sheets and blankets that are comfy
- Wear loose-fitting, comfortable pajamas
- Aim for around 60-67 degrees
Keep It Quiet and Relaxing
- Loud or persistent noises can keep the brain in a state of alertness.
- Keep phones and tablets away from your bed when it’s time for sleep. The brain’s sleep/awake cycle is designed to be tuned into light.
- Write, draw or read something calming before bed, rather than view a screen
- Do homework someplace other than where you sleep
For more sleep resources, visit https://www.healthiergeneration.org/campaigns/sleep-smarter-perform-better
Meditation for Stress Relief
Opportunities to learn and practice relaxation techniques coming this December!
Not sleeping well? Have a lot of stress on your plate? Finding it hard to focus? NEXT MONTH, be sure to set aside a little time Tuesday and Thursday afternoons to experience free guided meditation and mindfulness practices by experts! Throughout December, we have partnered with wellness instructors in our central MA community to bring you peace amidst the busy holiday season. Be sure to check out next month's calendar of events for practices that include topics such as "Stress Relieving Techniques for Better Sleep" and "Living Meditation"! Both students and staff are welcome and encouraged to attend. We can't wait to see you there!