Drayton Heights P.S. 3 year plan
Moving from Library to Learning Commons
What is a Learning Commons?
Our library is ready to make the change into a Learning Commons! This move is supported and encouraged by the Board. Just like our classrooms have evolved, so should this learning space. It should promote collaboration, creation, and the use of technology.
- make nonfiction section more accessible by moving all books to lower shelves
- purchase Makerspace items (ex. Lego, craft supplies, K'nex, snap circuits, etc.)
- begin some Makerspace activities during recesses
- initiate collaboration projects with interested teachers
- create a proposal with Library Supervisor (Michelle Campbell) for updating the room to present to the Board in the fall
- weed novel study sets
- purchase more Makerspace items with proceeds from fall Scholastic Book Fair (ex. robots, Makey Makey, origami paper, etc.)
- submit proposal to Board regarding renovation of computer lab
- begin moving from traditional computer lab to a "creation station"
- new tables and chairs that allow for flexible groupings
- create more collaborative projects with teachers
- expand Makerspace kits based on student-interest (art, robotics, coding, photography, science, animation, etc.)
- purchase new "comfy" seating for quiet area