John Michael Green
By Carmen DiCarlo
Date and Location of Birth and Interesting Facts
- August 24th, 1977
- Indianapolis, Indiana, United States
- Worked as a chaplain (spiritual representative) in a children's hospital
- Worked as a publishing assistant for Booklist (a book review journal)
- contributor of radio scripts
- Some of his interests are; writing, reading, Islam, last words, soccer, white wine, and conjoined twins
Published works and Genre
-Young Adult Ficition
Some of his most famous books are...
- Looking for Alaska, Dutton Children’s Books (New York, NY), 2005.
- An Abundance of Katherines, Dutton Books (New York, NY), 2006.
- Paper Towns, Dutton Books (New York, NY), 2008.
- (With David Levithan) Will Grayson, Will Grayson, Dutton (New York, NY), 2009.
- The Fault in Our Stars, Dutton (New York, NY), 2012.
- Micheal L. Printz Award, 2006, for Looking for Alaska
- Edgar Award
- Mystery Writers of America, 2009
- Children’s Choice Book Award for Book of the Year for Teens
- Children’s Book Council, 2011, for Will Grayson, Will Grayson
- Named one of the ten best fiction books of 2012, Time
Named "Author of the Year" by USA Today, 2014
Notable Life Experiences
- He earned double graduation degrees in English and Religious Studies
- He has a wife and 2 children
- Born August 24th, 1977
- Him and his brother, Hank, started a Youtube channel "VlogBrothers" and reached to one million followers in 2013
- " John Green." 2012. FamousAuthors.org 14 September,
- "John Green." Contemporary Authors Online. Detroit: Gale, 2015. Literature Resource Center. Web. 13 Sept. 2016.
- Green, John, and John Levithan Green David. "John Green Biography | List of Works, Study Guides & Essays." GradeSaver. 2016 GradeSaver LLC, n.d. Web. 14 Sept. 2016.
- Green, John. Looking for Alaska. New York: Dutton, 2005. Print.
- Gay marriage became legal- June 26th, 2015- contributes to the book; Will Grayson, Will Grayson because it is about a two boys who have romance between each other. He wrote the book before gay marriage was legalized, so it could show his opinion on it in the book
- Terrorist Attacks happen- 9/11- contributes to the book; Looking for Alaska because on the description it says "After. Nothing is ever the same." and after the terrorist attacks nothing was ever the same. Green could have gotten influenced that nothing would ever be the same in his book like this tragic event
- Diversity in the 1990s- contributes to the book- Will Grayson, Will Grayson because two young boys have romance, and before gay rights that was strange. Now there is diversity with who you can like
Reasoning for Author
"The week before I left my family and Florida and the rest of my minor life to go to boarding school in Alabama" (Page 1)
- I am interested in this author/works because I have read another one of John Green's books, Paper Towns, and enjoyed that book very much. I am also interested because he started off the first book I am going to read with a sentence that has me questioning why he left, etc.
- I expect this book to be good knowing that his other works are also good