- Unit: Author Study
- The book we will be focusing on the this week is Lily's Plastic Purse
- We are working on character analysis. What kind of character is ____? What proof did the author give you that (character) is (character trait)? This is a great thing to work on with your child's reading book, at home. As he/she is reading more difficult books, they author will no longer say "(character) is funny/smart/observant," he/she will give clues. The clues to look for are: what the character says, feels, does, thinks, as well as what other characters say and think.
- Phonics rule: the two sounds of y: long e (monkey) and long i (shy)
- Word Wall Words: study, carry, try, party, under, heavy
- Remember...If your child needs extra practice, there are lots of resources on our website.
- We will be starting our study of suffixes
- -er (meaning more) For example: taller means more tall
- -est (meaning most) For example: tallest means most tall
- -ly (meaning in a way) For example: quickly means in a way that is quick
- A way to practice this as a family is to take turns giving the rest of the family a word that includes -ful or -less (or any of the prefixes that we have already studied: un-, re-, pre-, dis-, and mis-) and the family has to tell you the meaning of the word. For example, if I gave my family the word unfair, they would tell me not fair. To spice it up, you may switch it around and give your family the meaning and they have to guess the word. You tell your family to do something again and they tell you that your word is redo.
We filled up our MARBLE Jar (class incentive program) and voted to have a dance party as our reward. We were so lucky to have Miss Bridgett (a former NYC Rockette) teach us a fun dance. Then we had a freestyle dance party. We had a rockin' time!
Country Fair Volunteers Needed
We are in NEED of volunteers to make this fabulous event happen. Over 700 spots need to be filled. Below is the link to sign up for a volunteer block.
Earth Week at SEES
Earth Week is put on by Planet Heroes
A Little History
- Founded in 1970 as a day of education about environmental issues, Earth Day is now a globally celebrated holiday that is sometimes extended into Earth Week, a full seven days of events focused on green awareness.
Next Planet Heroes Meeting
- Wednesday, April 13th at 8:15am at the lunch tables. Everyone is invited! Come help make posters and signs for Earth Week.
Earth Day Spirit Week
- Monday 4/18 - Wear blue and green day- walk or bike to school
- Tuesday 4/19 - Paperless Day - use less paper
- Wednesday 4/20- Zero Trash lunch day- wear recycled jewelry
- Thursday 4/21- Lights off day (less electricity)- BYOB- bring your own book and recycled water bottle and read a book on the field.
- Friday 4/22- Our earth is paradise day- Beach/tropical day