Hunter Bowden


Dust and debris
From the North, stretching towards the sea
Children crying, mothers screaming
I'm standing there, feeling helpless
Feels like I'm dreaming

The radioactive waves coerce through my system
Flowing through my body, coercing my system


Chernobyl News Report

Good evening ladies and gentlemen I'm your host, Mark Crage. Tonight we will be talking about the devastating incident that occurred in Ukraine. We may even have a guest speaker from Brussels, Belgium at 7:30 P.M.

Over the weekend there has been a terrible accident in Ukraine, at the Chernobyl Power Plant. One of their reactors has exploded and has wreaked havoc all across Europe, so much radioactive material was released that it spread as far as the U.K.

Several employees of the plant died from their injuries or of radiation sickness, also several deaths among emergency services.

Since it was spread so far it has entered hundreds of thousands of people bodies, over 270,000 cancer cases could be traced to Chernobyl and that included around 80,000 fatalities.

It's said that the reason that reactor 4 exploded was due to a reactor design flaw and that it was operated with inadequately trained personnel.

I hope that everyone around that area is okay, I do apologize it is 7:35 and our guest speaker is here now.

How are you tonight Laura Louis?

Laura: I'm doing fantastic, glad to be on here, how are you?

Good, good. So I have a few questions I would like to ask

Laura: Okay, great!

So where did you grow up?

Laura: I grew up in Brussels, Belgium and am currently living in New York

Were you in Belgium when Chernobyl exploded?

Laura: Yes I was, and I remember hearing about it all over the news, and there were a bunch of new students that month at our school due to them leaving Ukraine.

Interesting, It says that the radioactive gas was in the atmosphere and went all the way the U.K. do you remember noticing anything different about the air and atmosphere at the time?

Laura: I personally don't remember noticing anything but there were a lot of kids that got sick due to the radiation coming over us.

Did you have any friends or family that lived anywhere closer to Chernobyl and Ukraine?

Laura: Yes I did, my Grandpa and Grandma lived there. They lived there because my Grandma always wanted to visit Ukraine, so my Grandpa took her there for their 45th anniversary and they decided to live since they liked it, but sadly 3 or 4 months after Chernobyl went down they passed away, and we had their funereal in Brussels, Belgium were they were both born.

I'm sorry for your loss Laura, I hope everything goes well for you in New York. Thanks for being on the show.

Laura: Thanks for having me, it was fun!

Alrighty ladies and gentlemen it's time for us to end the show, we had a discussion about what happened in Chernobyl and had a guest speaker from Belgium!

Thanks for having me. I'm Mark Crage and I'll see you guys later!

How Chernobyl took my Father

Everything was perfect till April 26, 1986. We lived in Kiev, Ukraine at the time, since then we have moved. My mother and I were at home sleeping, at least I hope she was sleeping, she doesn't like it when my father has night shifts at the power plant. She thinks bad things will happen and we won't be there to help him right away. My father was a worker at the Chernobyl Power Plant and was working on Reactor 4.

My father had the night shift, he was doing a system test to make sure everything was working right. As he was doing the test there was a sudden and unexpected power surge. He quickly went to hit the emergency shutdown button, but when he did that a much larger spike in power occurred. Which led to a reactor vessel rupture and a series of steam explosions.

This caused the graphite moderator of the reactor to be exposed to the air which caused it to ignite. The fire sent a plume of highly radioactive fallout into the atmosphere, it went very far. It made it all the way to our home in Ukraine.

I remember hearing sirens and people with megaphones telling us to wake up and leave our house, I was scared but I had no idea so I went with my mother outside.

Police, Firefighters, and Medical Personnel were going down our street telling everyone to evacuate.

I went up to a Firefighter that was next to our house and asked "What happened and why are we evacuating?!"
He said "Reactor 4 at Chernobyl exploded and is releasing radioactive gas into the air, so we are trying get everyone out to eliminate causalities."

My heart immediately dropped. All these questions raced through my head, What happened to him? Did anything happen to him? Is he alright? Where was he at the time of the explosion?

So, skip a few days, still haven't seen my dad since the 25th. We get a call from the nearest hospital we have and they said my father is there and that we need to come now.

My mother and I got in the car and she drove as fast as she could. We are so nervous and scared. Mother is driving teary eyed and I'm shaking like I just witnessed a murder.

We get to the hospital and go to his room. The first thing I hear coming up to his room is him vomiting hard in a trash can with a nurse assisting him.

We walk in and after he got done puking he laid back and his face was so pale he looked dead, but there were some parts of his body that were red. Almost looked like a really bad sunburn, but they were covering random parts of his body. He had some on his back, around his armpit, feet, back of the neck, and more that I couldn't or didn't see.

When he spoke to me his voice was... so raspy and beat up sounding, mother starting crying, but I held it in knowing that he would feel worse if he saw me crying.

He told me that the doctors said he only had 3-7 days left to live, he said that the fever would become uncontrollable and that it would start to get higher and higher.

I was literally at a loss of words, and once he finished what he had to say, I bawled like a baby and went to him and hugged him as hard as he would let me.

These last days were the worst days of my life, but they were also some of my most good days too. We stayed at the hospital till it was his time to go, but during those times there were some things I'd never seen him do before.

I've never seen him smile so much in a time of so much pain.

It's now May 4, 12:36 P.M. and my father just passed.

I wish the best of luck to everyone who got caught by Chernobyl's deadly grasp, just know to spend as much time as you can with them if they aren't going to live much longer.

Pen Pal Letter

Hey Agafya, I heard that something bad happened with a reactor at Chernobyl. People are saying it is very bad and unfortunate.

If you get this there are a few questions I would like to ask.

First off I hope that you and your family are okay, so you live in Kirovohrad Ukraine could you tell that something happened and if so did it affect you in any way?

Since the radiation blast was so big, how did you feel when people were telling you to leave your home to get to somewhere safe? Did you know what happened right away?

How many of your relatives were harmed due to this accident or did you and the family get lucky and miss all harm and illness?

Well hopefully this letter gets to you cause I really want to know more about this from someone who was there when it happened and I hope you and your family are okay.
(Letter gets to Samantha)

Thanks for writing to me Tim, I thought you would have forgotten that we started talking. Yes we are all okay but my friends that lived down the street aren't doing so well at the moment.

I could tell that something happened because after they told us it wasn't safe and we had to leave I looked up and the sky was a light green color.

It was very scary having people tell us to leave, but we listened and followed instructions and are safe now.

Lucky all my family didn't get sick, but sadly my one of my best friends Annushka has gotten sick, don't know if it's do to the radiation or from a random sickness.

Again thank you for asking about me, it's very assuring knowing that someone across the world is concerned about me.

Work Cited

Used the same links from the FQI's but added one new one