Weekly Penguin News
Park Village Elementary - A 2018 CA Distinguished School
09/08 - Spirit Wear Store CLOSES
09/10 - Application for Penguin Peace Leader DUE
09/11 - CHADD Meeting | 700-9:00 pm @ MPR
09/11 - Recycling | 8:00 am - 8:55 am @ ESS Parking Lot
09/11 - X-Ploration
09/13 - Ice Cream Social | 3:20 pm @ Lunch Area
09/18 - Deadline to return Golden Envelopes to qualify for raffles
09/18 - PTA Association Meeting |5:00 pm @ MPR
09/20 - Golden Envelope Pledge Drive Ends
09/20 - Friday Flag | 9:00 am @ Lunch Area
09/20 - Ice Cream Social | 3:20 pm @ Lunch Area
09/20 - D.A.D.S. Group Meeting |7:00 pm
Go to http://parkvillagefoundation.com/pves-calendar/ for additional calendar events
Go to https://app.peachjar.com/flyers/all/schools/52513 for PVES digital flyers
Got Golden Envelopes?
We are 2 weeks into our fall Pledge Drive. As of this morning, we have raised over $51,500 with 186 students participating! Our goal is to raise $160,000 this year. Your donations are what make our Science, Technology, Art, Music, and P.E. programs possible here at Park Village. Golden Envelopes can be returned to your teacher or to the Foundation mailbox just inside the front gates. Or, you may donate online at https://parkvillagefoundation.com/.
Just a reminder, families who donate via our website or Golden Envelope by Wednesday, September 18, will be entered to win (1) one topping personal pizza from Round Table (5 winners), (2) free Souplantation Meal coupons (4 winners), or (4) Disney Park Hopper admission tickets (1 winner). Thank you for investing in your child’s education!
Foundation Spotlight: Meet Coach Mills
Your donations to the PV Foundation fund our PE Coordinator, Coach Mills, and her PE equipment.
This is Coach Mills' 11th year at Park Village! She meets with each individual class once a week for 30 minutes... for 30 weeks this year!
Students are taught skills-based and age-appropriate games which introduce them to soccer, football, soccer, football, basketball, softball, volleyball, and even hockey. Students also have a blast participating in various activities utilizing frisbees, beanbags, hula hoops, jump ropes, parachutes, locomotion (tag games, races, relays), and stations with various P.E. equipment. Phew!
- Second grade and up participate in grade level tournaments. The winning classes are awarded a class trophy which is proudly displayed in their classrooms.
- P.E. is never canceled! If it's raining or too hot, classes are held in the MPR or an empty classroom. Favorite indoor activities include balloon relays, beachball games, limbo, and dance parties. If there is a holiday or professional growth day, the classes are either rescheduled during a make-up period or joined with another class that week.
Coach Mills says: "I love teaching my favorite childhood subject! I get joy from seeing kids' smiles and hearing children's laughter. I love Park Village because the kids are excited about P.E. They greet me with happy faces and are anxious to know what activities I have planned for them."
Foundation Spotlight: Meet Miss LaDow
Miss LaDow is excited to begin her second year as a Park Village Penguin! She meets with every class once a week, for 23 weeks this year. Grades TK to 2nd receive 30 minutes of instruction, while grades 3rd through 5th receive 45 minutes. This year she will be covering 6 main fundamentals of music:
- Beat vs. rhythm
- Melody & solfege
- Glee - the joy of singing
- Movement and music
- Instrument families
- Fine arts in relation to music (ie. dance, theater, production, etc.)
- 5th graders have an opportunity to learn how to play the ukulele
- New this year, Miss LaDow and our students will be prepping and performing 2 concerts, one in the winter and one in the spring. She looks forward to showcasing the incredible talent at PV elementary!
Miss LaDow says: "I love the deep sense of community at Park Village. From the moment I stepped on campus every faculty member, teacher, student, and parent has been so welcoming and supportive. The students at Park Village are kind, empathetic, and avid learners that make me feel like the luckiest music teacher in the world. I feel very privileged to work at a school that values music education at such a high level. "
Last Chance for Fall Spirit Wear!
Various styles and colors to choose from. Samples are available for sizing, located on the garment rack outside the office. To order, go to https://parkvillagespirit.myshopify.com/. Online store closes Sunday, September 8. Items will be delivered to your child's classroom the week of October 8. All sales are final. Please contact Bobbi at email@example.com if you have any questions.
Park Village is on Social Media!
Follow us on Facebook:
Park Village Foundation: https://www.facebook.com/parkvillagefoundation/
DADS Group: https://www.facebook.com/ParkVillageDADS/
Follow us on Instagram:
Park Village Foundation: https://www.instagram.com/parkvillagef/
DADS Group: https://www.instagram.com/parkvillagedads/
Recycling Event at Park Village
Wednesday Sept 11, Recycling Collection, ESS Lot, 8-9AM
The second Wednesday of every month is Recycling Collection. We are collecting California Redemption Value (CRV) plastic and glass bottles, aluminum can,s and household batteries. The money raised by the CRV items goes directly to the school. Separate the items by type and crush them if possible - it really helps out. Again this year we will give out awards for the top student in each grade, and overall top collector. The class that brings in the most will win an ice cream party, so tally up the total number of CRV items, jot it down on a slip of scratch paper along with your child's name and teacher's name, and bring it along with the recyclables. Note that we do not have time to count your items at the drop off, and please avoid taping the slip to the bag as it gets torn, lost or buried.
We're always looking for volunteers to come help sort and crush that morning, so come on down and lend a hand. If you have any questions email firstname.lastname@example.org
Volunteer Workroom Trainings
By Joy Turnage, Campus Supervisor
In order to use the copiers in the Workroom, classroom volunteers MUST be trained to use these machines.
We will have Workroom Training Sessions on the following dates:
September 19th – 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
September 26th – 9:30 a.m. – 10:30 a.m.
Classroom volunteers, please plan to attend this training session as you will not be able to use the copiers in the Workroom without training. Thank you so much for your cooperation.
PTA Reflections Program 2019
Calling All Creative Kids! This year’s Reflections theme “Look Within” has may possibilities. Ask your child to think about the theme and talk about what it means to them.
Brainstorming Starting Points:
Look within yourself? Who are you, what are your dreams, aspirations and goals?
Look within others? What is someone else feeling? What does a dog think about? Or a famous sports figure? A child separated from their parents? A friend after having a disagreement?
Look within an object? What is inside a tree, under the ocean, within a house?
Look within a business or organization? What goes on inside a library, courthouse or classroom?
Let your child break out their imagination and have fun! They can create a piece of artwork or short film, take a photo, choreograph a dance, and/or write a song or story that captures the theme in their own unique way.
If your child wants to submit an entry, click here for the rules and entry form. Completed Reflections entries will be due October 16th in the lunch area before school begins (8:40-9:00 am). If you are not able to drop off an artwork at this time, please email to make alternate arrangements. An artist's showcase will be scheduled… watch for details.
If you have any questions, please contact Reflections Chair, Jennifer Myers at email@example.com.
PTA Association Meeting
Our first PTA Association Meeting will be Wednesday, September 18 at 5pm, in the MPR.
If you haven't signed up for a membership, you can do so online: https://jointotem.com/ca/san-diego/park-village-elementary-pta
D.A.D.S. Group Update & First Meeting of the Year - September 20, 7PM
Volunteer Opportunities for 2019 - 2020
Park Village prides itself on our programs and events. However, they are all run by parent volunteers, and we need your help! We have opportunities of all types and sizes. Even one hour once a month can make a difference!
- Library - Help reshelve books. This task is constant and can happen any time of day. Perhaps you can help after morning drop-off or while waiting to pick up your child in the afternoon? You can make a difference in as little as 15-20 minutes. I just need folks to stop by regularly. Many hands make light work! No experience is required. If you’re interested, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org, or stop by the library to chat.
- Recycling - Help sort and crush recycling. Second Wednesday of every month, 8-9 am, ESS Parking Lot. Even 15-30 minutes before school is a big help!. Contact Victor at email@example.com.
- Science Night Volunteers - You will oversee a station while our little ones sharpen their science skills with their parents. Please sign up for a night when your own child is not attending - PV Science Night Volunteers. Contact Shannon Nellies at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Marquee Editor in Chief(s) - Update the marquee in the front of the school with our PVE news, and help keep our families informed! Contact Gigi in the office.