The Hour of Code
December 7 - 11 (updated 12/3/2015)
The Hour of Code Begins Soon!
Ways for Students to Participate:
- Reserve the Computer Lab for 1 hour
- Reserve the Computer Lab for two 30 minute sessions
- Check out an iPad cart for 1 hour
- Check out an iPad cart for the two 30 minute sessions
- Set it up as your Technology Rotation for the week
- Start the Hour of Code at school and have students access it at home to finish the game
- Use the Promethean board and have students work on it as a whole group
Watch This Video! It explains how to play the Hour of Code
Teachers Have to Participate, Too!
This year's Hour of Code game has a Star Wars Theme. Here are links to this year's Star War Hour of Code game along with some of the other Hour of Code games. It is important for teachers to try out one of the Hour of Code game(s) BEFORE they introduce the Hour of Code to their students. Once you have played the game, you will understand how it works and be able to answer student questions. The games are designed to be self-directed.
Teacher Tips for the Hour of Code
- Teachers need to try out the game(s) BEFORE they try it with their students. This way you will know what to do and can answer your students' questions.
- Watch the videos that are part of the game(s)! They give you hints and directions on how to master each level.
- Read all the pop up boxes - They give tips to help you when you are having trouble.
- Lower Grades and Inclusion classes can pair students up to work on the game as a team.
- The games are not saved, so if you close the game, you have start all over again.
- All Tech Cadets have played the Hour of Code games and can help answer questions in your class.
- The Hour of Code is designed to be self-directed and teach problem solving skills. For students this is going to be difficult. If you have students who might become frustrated by such a task...pair them up with another student. It is okay for students to work in pairs or teams. This is a game and it is meant to be fun.
- Certificates - If you make it the end of the game...you get to print a certificate. :-)