WBMS Friday Notes
February 25- March 1
Reflections from Ms. Perkins
WBMS Parents and Guardians –
Over the next few weeks, the Fulton County School System will be raising awareness about the risks and dangers of using vapes or e-cigarettes. 2018 survey data concluded that 11.7% of high school students and 3.3% of middle school students have used an e-cigarette in the past 30 days. Schools in Fulton County, including WBMS, have reported an uptick of students bringing and using vapes/e-cigarettes on school campuses which constitutes a violation of our Student Code of Conduct; but more importantly, the use of these devices puts our students at risk for the known and unknown dangers of vaporized chemicals that are emitted from the devices.
All Fulton County schools will be educating parents, students, and communities using three approaches: Awareness/Prevention, Intervention and Response. During this first week, we will focus on awareness and prevention efforts. All schools will be posting vaping prevention and awareness posters and will share risks and dangers with our students. We have also attached a vaping resource developed by the district earlier this school year that will be shared with teachers and students. Please review this resource and discuss the risks and dangers with your student(s). In addition, we have provided the links below that offer parent information about the current vaping trend in teens and how to talk to kids about vaping.
The county will share additional information on our Intervention and Response efforts. I will include the communication in Friday Notes as I receive it. Additionally, this year at WBMS we partnered with “Catch Your Breath” and all of our health classes contain a unit focused on the dangers of vaping. Thank you in advance for partnering with us to prevent, intervene, and respond to this ever-growing safety concern facing our students. Thank you for your support in this effort.
I hope you have a wonderful weekend with your family!
Rebecca Williams Perkins
Principal, Webb Bridge Middle School
Support LRJ- Order your T-Shirt Today!
WBMS have been fortunate enough to be partnered with an organization called “LRJ Foundation for Mental & Emotional Health”. The LRJ Foundation has been visiting our health classes quarterly this school year. They send licensed instructors to our classes to discuss with our students strategies to improve mental health, the importance of positive mental health, kindness, and ways to express and deal with emotions.
On March 15th, we are going to promote and support the LRJ Foundation for all they have done for our students this school year. The LRJ Foundation will be here all day in our health classes and also be promoting positive mental health during lunch on March 15th.
As part of this special day, the LRJ Foundation will be selling a t-shirt with their logo, “Better Than Yesterday”. The t-shirt will be bright yellow with the logo on it. We hope that the entire school, both students and teachers, will participate in this event by purchasing a t-shirt. Shirts are available to purchase through their website and will be delivered to the school by March 13th. If you don’t wish to purchase the shirt, please encourage your child to wear yellow on March 15th to support the great work that they do.
*Please don't purchase the $3 shipping fee as all shirts will be delivered to WBMS.
PTA Positions Opened for Next Year
Are you interested in getting involved in PTA next year at Webb Bridge Middle School? We have several VP positions available as well as Chairperson positions. Meetings are just once a month, and it is a great way to be involved in your child's school. Please consider donating your time for a great cause!
Café Celebrates National School Breakfast Week March 4th – 8th!
- Week Of (March 4th – 8th)
- Monday, 3/4/19: Good morning students! Today is the start of National School Breakfast Week! Start your day with a healthy and nutritious school breakfast! Every day you eat school breakfast you will be automatically entered for a chance to win the grand prize which will be announced on Friday! Increase your chance to win by joining the café each day!
- Tuesday, 3/5/19: Today is Try It Tuesday! Come by the school café today and celebrate National School Breakfast Week by sampling delicious breakfast sausage links! Every day you eat school breakfast you will be automatically entered for a chance to win the grand prize which will be announced on Friday! Increase your chance to win by joining the café each day!
- Wednesday, 3/6/19: It’s day 3 of National School Breakfast week and today in the café we have a special guest server! Come by your school café and visit with the surprise server! Every day you eat school breakfast you will be automatically entered for a chance to win the grand prize which will be announced on Friday! That’s right, just by simply eating school breakfast this week you could win!
- Thursday, 3/7/19: Don’t miss out on the fun: it’s National School Breakfast Week! Never had school breakfast before? Visit your school café during lunch today, and see what everyone is talking about! During lunch, your café will feature a NEW Pancakes & Sausage Links for lunch. Be sure to come by the café and enjoy a delicious breakfast meal at lunch! Every day you eat school breakfast you will be automatically entered for a chance to win the grand prize which will be announced on Friday! That’s right, just by simply eating school breakfast this week you could win!
- Friday, 3/8/19: Today is the last day to celebrate National School Breakfast week! Your friendly cafe staff would like to thank everyone that visited the café this week to celebrate! The winning students will be announced as soon as we have a tally! Stay tuned!
Blood Drive- March 4th
7th Grade Hindu Temple Field Trip
Reminder: Students going on the Hindu Temple Field Trip please remember to bring in your non-perishable vegetarian food donations!
Dress Code: Smart casual clothing. All clothes must cover shoulders and knees. Please dress for the cold weather. We will be outside for part of the day. No shorts, miniskirts, sleeveless tops (spaghetti strap tops or tanks) allowed. Jeans are fine for kids, but no holes.
Shoes: All visitors must remove their shoes when they enter the Mandir. Shoe racks are located within the complex. WEAR SOCKS .
Cell phones: NONE. They will leave them in lockers at school.
Food and drink: Student who bring lunch, must bring a vegetarian lunch. No gum allowed!
Conduct: Please refrain from touching the delicate carvings. To maintain the spiritual atmosphere, please observe silence inside the Mandir.
WBMS Daffodil Garden Dedication- March 14th
Help Us WIN "Stock the Fridge"
Tutor Doctor Roswell is having a "Vote For Your School" Facebook Contest. The school with the most votes win a stocked fridge and pantry with goodies for their teachers!!
Walk to School Day- March 15th
Webb Bridge MS 7th grade parents and community!
The 7th grade is headed to the JA Discovery Center Finance Park in Gwinnett on February 20, 21 and April 9, 2019.
Junior Achievement Volunteers Needed: We will need 10-15 volunteers on each day (February 20, 21 and April 9, 2019). You can go on a different day than your child if it works better for your schedule. As a volunteer you will be working directly with the students in each ‘store’ at Finance Park. Volunteers are required to report at the JA Discovery Center at the Gwinnett Discovery Center at 8:30 am for training. Volunteers will not ride the bus with us, but we can help you work out carpools with other parent volunteers on that day. You may also ask friends or co-workers. All volunteers must be verified through the Fulton County Volunteer registration process, which takes up to two days to process.
Tuesday, April 9
Attention all PARENTS! Don’t forget to order your student’s 2018-2019 yearbook! You can buy it at https://tinyurl.com/y3mjdbgd
How to Raise a Good Human in the Digital World
From the street-art of NYC to the mural of WBMS- please continue to take your selfies in front of Art Club’s fun, new Lovewall honoring UK artist, J. Goldcrown and send to #WBMSLoveWall.
Next Art Club meeting is March 21st at 7:45 a.m. in Ms. Miller’s room. If you have not already done so, please pay membership dues at below link and text parent sponsor Julia Williams (404-357-7563) with size Adult S, M or L size club T-shirt.
We are Celebrating Beta Week- March 4th-8th
- Monday, March 4- Welcome Monday! Posters and signs in Carpool and greeting people in the hallway. Wear your t-shirt!
- Tuesday, March 5- Thankful Tuesday- notes and messages to teachers and friends- we are also providing Breakfast for teachers!
*If you are writing a Thank You card- pick up a blank Thank You Card from Ms. Pardee (go to the Front Office). You must select the teacher/staff member you are writing a Thank You card for using this Google Form- http://bit.ly/betaweekthankyou We want to make sure everyone gets a card. This means once someone has selected that person, their name will disappear from the list. Please select someone else. Don't forget to write down your person's name.
- Wednesday, March 6- Game and Posters at Beta meeting
- Thursday, March 7- Beta Clean Service Activity
- Friday, March 8- Recognition and Friday Fun
Earlier this month 19 members of our FBLA chapter competed in online testing at the state level in a variety of business and computer science concepts. As part of the State Leadership Conference on Monday, February 25th, the winners were announced. Taking 5th place in Intro to Business Communications was Viswas Sreenathan, 5th place in Marketing Concepts was Sarah Rambhatla, 4th place in Microsoft Office Concepts was Kate Zurinskas, third place in Spelling Concepts was Neil Lothe, and 2nd place in Intro to Computer Science and Coding was Ronak Vyas. Congratulations to these students. All students competing in the online testing may come to Room 120 to see their testing results.
Our next FBLA general meeting will take place on Friday, March 8 at 7:50 a.m. in the Media Center. Our agenda will include a recognition ceremony for all students participating in the State Leadership Conference, and information and activities on our upcoming community service project, Relay for Life. We hope all members can join us on March 8th.
Hangin At the Y!
Register now for upcoming Building Character Acting classes. Improv is the main focus this session! Check out more information at www.buildingcharacter.org Classes run from Feb 21st –May 16th 4:15-5:45. Come join the fun!
Meetings and Public Comment
Webb Bridge’s School Governance Council meets in the morning one Friday each month in @ 7:30 in the PLR room.
Our next SGC meeting is scheduled for Friday, April 12 at 7:30am in the PLR Room. Public comments are welcome at 7:35 am or via the Virtual Comment link below.
If you would like to donate to the PTA and help us reach our goal, Please click here wbmspta.org.
All donations are tax deductible.
Thank you for your support!
Please Support Our Business Partners!!
5354 McGuiness Ferry Road Alpharetta, GA 30005 770-619-9797
2018-2019 Community Balance
We want to create a community filled with more balanced lives. On these nights there will not be any homework assigned, and no assessments will occur the next day.
August – 15th
October – 25th
November – 7th
December – 5th
January – 16th
February – 13th
March – 6th
April – 18th
May – 8th