May 30, 2022
I hope you had a restful 3 day weekend and enjoyed some extra time with your children. Tonight at diner, as my son Harlan, who is finishing second grade this year, seemed to be confused about the idea of a last day of school. At this point, I realized that his last days of school had all been virtual. As we started talking about the close of the school year, his excitement began to mount. Then before we could blink, both children were so excited they could not contain themselves. I write this to say, the end of a school year can elicit all kinds of emotions from students, staff and families alike. Please talk to your children about what it means to be kind, safe and responsible when faced with the excitement of field day and graduation, or the sadness of saying goodbye to friends or the nervousness of leaving the routines of school behind for the summer.
- Wednesday, June 1: school replacement virtual meeting, 6-7pm (details below)
- Thursday, June 2: Frozen Jr. Performance at JAMS. Several of our JRE kids are in the musical on the 2nd. Performance in the JAMS theater, 7pm. Tickets at door.
- Tuesday, June 7: virtual PTA meeting at 7pm
- Wednesday, June 15: Field Day! 8:50am - 10:50am (we need your help, see below!)
- Chris Daigre back for a Jazzy June this year as all grades will have a chance to learn more about Jazz dance.
- 5th graders in June, will have the special opportunity to work on improvisation and theatre skills with Tracy Hiland.
- Friday, June 17: last day of school (1-hour early dismissal)
School Replacement project community virtual meeting, June 1st, 6-7pm
You are invited to join Seattle Public Schools for a virtual community meeting about the new John Rogers Elementary School Replacement project. The design team will present information about the project, the proposed design of the new school, share the project schedule, and answer questions.
Instructions to participate in the virtual meeting will be available on the project website. The meeting link will be posted on May 31.
Virtual Community Meeting
Date: June 1, 2022
Time: 6-7 p.m.
To join: The link and other details for this meeting will be posted on the day of the meeting. You will need internet access to join the meeting and see the presentation.
Thurs. June 2 at 7pm, JAMS theater to see JRE students - tickets at the door
Thursday evening, June 2 at 7pm. Jane Addams Middle School theater presents Frozen Jr. with a few students from John Rogers (young Anna played by Zoe Wood, 4th grader, young Elsa played by a 5th grader, Hidden Folk ensemble with Emma Yee, 4th grader)
Tickets will only be sold at the door.
900+ seat auditorium. They are not worried about selling out.
Address: 11051 34th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125
The offering is presented from June 2-4, however, only on June 2nd are the JRE students performing.
SAVE THE DATE - final virtual PTA meeting for this school year - June 7TH at 7pm
Topic: John Rogers - General Meeting
Time: Jun 7, 2022 07:00 PM Pacific Time (US and Canada)
Join Zoom Meeting
Field Day is back! Wednesday, June 15th. 8:50-10:50am
That’s an early release Wednesday. We need your help to make it happen. Super fun!
Please see sign-up genius to volunteer. Thank you, Go Otters!
Creative Advantage Committee Updates!
- Mama Afua invited a group of John Rogers students to perform at Folklife this year to perform a West African song and dance Fanga. Students performed at Folklife on 5/27/22 (picture of the kids performing)
- A big thank you to the JR PTA for arts funding that will allow us to welcome Chris Daigre back for a Jazzy June this year as all grades will have a chance to learn more about Jazz dance.
- Finally, the 5th graders will have the special opportunity to work on improvisation and theatre skills with Tracy Hiland in June.
Bell Time JRE Survey Results
Per SPS there will NOT be bell time changes for the upcoming 22-23 school year. We may need to circle back to this survey next year. Thank you to all who responded to our survey! Go Otters!
Incoming Jane Addams Middle School 6th Graders
See JAMS welcome page for helpful information for your upcoming 6th grader;
Update to in-person incoming 6th graders - Moved to September 6 – 5th Grade Welcome Event for Students and Families – Our In-Person event at Jane Addams Middle School has been moved to September 6 so that students will have their schedules, be able to meet students in their classes, and find their lockers. Check back for the exact time later this summer.
Want to see the school before Orientation? Join us for one of the following JAMS events:
School Play – Frozen Jr. on June 2nd (7pm), June 3rd (7pm) or June 4th (2pm or 7pm)
Orchestra & Choir Concert on June 7th (7pm)
Band Concert on June 10 (7pm)
Everyone is invited to attend the JAMS events and see our school at the same time! Hope to see you there!
Coyote North summer programs
TWO exciting updates at Coyote North:
1. Coyote North Summer Calendar is live and ready for registrations! We have some exciting new Cooking, Poetry, Acting, Painting, Photography, Woodworking, and Metalworking classes, so check them out! All classes (as always) are pay-what-works-for-you.
The summer calendar is attached, and you can register online here: https://coyotecentral.org/register-for-classes
2. Coyote North Summer Kick-off Party will be on June 16th from 5:30-7:30pm! It is free and open to everyone, so we hope to see you there!
You can register (for a FREE RAFFLE TICKET) here: https://forms.gle/TwXULhEciPxZsJQHA
Please don't hesitate to reach out with any questions, and please spread the word!
Alex Peterson (she/her)
Program + Engagement Manager
PH: (206) 886-2601
*Would you like to get involved with other parents supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in our school community? The John Rogers parent DEI team meets monthly. All are welcome to attend. Please email parent Apurva email@example.com or Tricia firstname.lastname@example.org for information including meeting date and link, meeting minutes and/or join the email list.
*Help with morning and afternoon car door opening and playground help
Contact Mr.Ostbye if you're interested in helping students from their cars in the morning, into their cars in the afternoon or helping students being kind, safe and responsible on the playground.
*In the next school year, 2022-23 there will be a handful of PTA positions open. Please contact the PTA for more information of how you can help our school! Contact:
The PTA would love to have your help! Please email email@example.com if you would like to help our school community.
We love our volunteers and prior to volunteering please complete the SPS required volunteer online application and allow for 2+ weeks for processing and approval. More information: Volunteer Application Process - Seattle Public Schools (seattleschools.org)
Further questions, email Michelle in the JRE office at: firstname.lastname@example.org
JOIN OUR PTA!
BECOME A PTA MEMBER TODAY!
*Memberplanet charges a small service fee ($0.59)*
PTA GROUP ON FACEBOOK John Rogers PTA Facebook page
Helpful source to post questions/concerns and receive school information. Two membership questions required to join this private group. Thank you!
DID YOU KNOW THERE IS A WEBSITE ALL ABOUT THE JOHN ROGERS ELEMENTARY REBUILD?
Check it out to find out the latest updates on the upcoming rebuild of our school!
Building Leadership Team
- To function as a forum for discussion and resolution of issues
- To work towards consensus building in the school community
- To set goals and implement plans for JR that provide for family, staff, community and student involvement in appropriate aspects of school functioning
- To communicate to the JR staff and families suggestions and/or policy regarding the philosophy and focus of the instructional program at JRE, allowing staff to plan final implementation steps
- To consider suggestions and concerns of the staff and families in order to aid and advance the goals of JRE.
- To oversee the facilitation and development of the JRE school budget in conjunction with staff.
- To coordinate advocacy for the interest of JRE with Seattle Public Schools and larger community.
- TO work cooperatively with the PTA in furthering the goals and mission statement of JRE.
- The building leadership team meets once per month from 3PM -4PM.
If you are interested in serving on the Building Leadership Team, please contact email@example.com for more information.
Fun, all gender Soccer Day Camp, at Jane Addams Middle School, July 11-15
This summer, the Ingraham girls soccer program will once again be offering one week of soccer day camp July 11th-15th at Jane Addams Middle School. Our reasonably priced ($100 per week) and is intended for elementary school aged recreational players.
Fun Soccer Day Camp
Run by Ingraham High School Girls Soccer Players (but all gender camp)
July 11th-15th from 8:00 AM – Noon
At Jane Addams Middle School: 11051 34th Ave NE, Seattle, WA 98125
Registration Information on attached forms.
Cost: $100.00 for first child, $80 for each additional
Attached below is the registration form.
Questions? Contact: Mike Wentzel. Teacher and Assistant Girls Soccer Coach
Ingraham High School. Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL-SCHOOL RECORDED ASSEMBLY FROM APRIL 4, 2022
WATCH above link as it's very sweet!
Here’s the re-created link. of the May assembly. Some of the audio is interrupted but most of it is fine. Meeting now-20220527_131418-Meeting Recording.mp4
Message from Jane Addams Middle School PTSA board
Jane Addams Middle School PTSA nominating committee (https://jamsptsa.org/about/) is looking to fill various open board and committee positions for the upcoming 2022/2023 school year. We strongly encourage consideration of not only our incoming 6th grade families but also from those currently attending JAMS.
The JAMS PTSA board is committed to reflecting the diversity represented in our school community. (See our diversity statement here) We value the representation of our BIPOC, English language learners, and LGBTQIA+ community members. As a PTSA we are committed to inclusivity and making accommodations, so that it is easier for families to make this commitment. As such, we offer remote participation options, interpreters, translated materials, and onsite childcare. We will also consider structuring positions as co-chairs.
Please contact Sanjay Mishra (email@example.com) and also an OHE parent for more information.
Please see the complete list of 2022-2023 open positions and the description of each job by clicking here.