Ms. DesBarres Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- BUDDY BOOKS: Students are continuing to bring home their buddy books daily. Please remember that these leveled books are for your child to read to you. They must be returned daily- just like their library books.
- Math: In math we have started on our new unit on Measurement! The students have been participating in various math tasks (such as measuring their teddies!) and centers this week which have helped them to develop awareness of objects that are short and long.
- Science: We have started learning about penguins! We have been reading many books and watching some short educational clips about penguins to help us develop our awareness and knowledge about these lovely birds!. Students have been completing special penguin reports which they are excited to show you when they are done.
1) This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Arnie Aardvark (Ar) and Ortie Orsen (Or). Then have them tell you what sounds those two characters likes the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent that sound. Arnie Aardvark (Ar) and Ortie Orsen (Or).
2) This week we learned one new sight words. Ask your child if they remember what they were. (Are)
3) We also learned that the letter "R" can sometimes be bossy, making it so that the letter before it cannot be heard! Ask your child one word that shows how the letter "R" is bossy. (Examples: Arnie, Are)