Raureka School Term 2 Week 7
Newsletter 16 June 2021
Kia ora koutou katoa, Talofa lava, Kia orana,
What a great Disco on Friday night. The children had a fantastic time and they danced and enjoyed themselves. A huge thank you to everyone for supporting it.
Congratulations to the RSS for organising a great event.
On Monday we had the Duffy Theatre come and perform for us. The show was based around Lockdown last year. It was March 2020 in Aotearoa, which means lock-down. Duffy and Scruffy have gone off to their Auntie’s farm because both their parents are essential workers and we are with them each step of the way as they tackle online learning, hand sanitiser, and life on the farm. Duffy finds it really tough to stay with reading through this time and we see him go on an adventure that reminds him why he loves reading and why it’s so important for him to be the reading super hero that we all know he is. The show was designed to be a light hearted reflection on a pretty trying time for Duffy kids, with reading and books at the forefront.
Health Curriculum Questionnaire: It's time for us to ask you again about our Health curriculum. Each child had a blue sheet sent home on Monday that has 9 questions. Could you please fill them out and send them back to school so I can have your input into our ongoing curriculum. Thanks for the support.
Teacher Only Day next Monday 21st June: remember we will not have any staff onsite next Monday. OSCAR will be looking after children who have booked in- If you need childcare on Monday contact them. We will see you all on Tuesday 22nd June
Breakfast Club: We have breakfast provided on Tuesday's and Thursday's in the hall from just after 8:00 until 8:30. This is Kick Start breakfast programme provided by Fonterra and Sanitarium. Children are welcome to come in and be part of the programme.
Three way conferences: School Closes on Monday 5th July at 12:30
These will be held on Monday 5th July from 1:00 and then Tuesday 6th July from 3:15.
School will close at 12:30 on Monday 5th so that conferences can start at 1:00. The YMCA will be open to take children but they will need to be booked in. Please contact them to book in.
To make a booking for the conference:
Enter the code 3qtz9 and then follow the instructions for booking your child/ren. This is open now. Bookings will need to be made individually for each child.
If you have difficulty booking in please contact your teacher/office and we will make a booking for you.
The interview will be a time for your child to share some of the things that they are doing and then for you and the teacher to go over the progress that is being made by your child.
Please note that Mrs Hanson, from Room 8, will be away from Tuesday 6th July and so her interviews will need to be on Monday 5th of July. She will also have interviews on Tuesday 29th June and Thursday 1st July from 3:15 until 4:30 p.m. Mrs Hanson will be sending out a note to the class so parents can book a time to go over the children's progress. Please make your bookings as soon as you can. Booking with Mrs Hanson's extra days will have to be done with her so send back a request for the time you want and she will let you know what time you have.
Mrs Hanson will be away for at least four weeks into Term 2. Mrs Williams will take over the running of the class in her absence.
Please remember that classes start at 8:55 a.m. each day and all children should be at school, unless they are sick, ready to start then. When the children arrive on time they do not miss out on valuable learning time and they feel as though they haven't missed anything. Keep in mind too that when children arrive late it can be hard on their classmates as after an interruption - some children struggle to refocus on the lesson.
Matariki: Please note this is now on Thursday 1July at 5:00- more info will come out shortly about this event.
Hockey this week: Raureka Tui's play Mahora at 8:40 on Field D. Raureka Kowhai play Pukehamoamoa at 10:20
Our four values are :
Respect/Whakaute, Responsibility/Haepapa, Resilience/Pakari, Relationships/Whanaungatanga.
This week we are focusing on - Whakaute/Respect - which means, believe in yourself, value the feelings and rights of others and show regard for the environment.
Expected behaviour for this week: be a team player.
Our value for Week 6 was ...
The following children received awards:
R1 Lexii Cole, R2 Drefan Brunton, R4 Coco Timms-Rapaea, R5 Marilyn Kevika, R7 Rylee Foster, R8 Harlee De Marco, R11 Sofia Sehjal, R12 Adrianna Brightwell, R13 JT Lodge,
R14 Sarsha Edmonds, R15 Hereraina Ngahuka-Dunn, R19 Mase Muir, R20 Kane Davies,
R21 Ewan Davis. ESOL Steve Kevika.
Raureka Kowhai played Poukawa and won 2-1.
Player of the day was Xander.
Raureka Tuis played Sherenden and lost 0-6.
Player of the day was Nalisha.
Raureka Force played Ebbett Park and won 12-5.
Player of the day was Hannah.
Raureka Magic played St Josephs and won 20-7.
Player of the day was Skyla.
All games were postponed.
Hello Room 1 - what have you got to share with us this week?
- Mon June 21 - Teacher Only Day- No School
- Tues June 22 - Wed 23 Keeping Ourselves Safe
- Tues June 22 - Ready for Raureka (In Room 12, 2:00-2:45)
- Thurs June 24 - Leadership Day School Leaders
- Tues June 29 - Senior Cycling
- Thurs July 1 - Matariki 5:00pm meet School Quad
- Mon July 5 - 3 Way Conferences - School closes 12:30- 6:30 first Conference 1:00
- Tues July 6 - 3 Way Conferences first Conference 3:15-6:30
- Last Day Term 2 - Fri. - July 9 (School Closes at 2:55)
- Mufti Day
- First Day Term 3 - Mon. - July 26 (School Opens at 8:55)
- Thurs August 19- Parent evening with Murray Gadd about Writing
- Fri 27 August Teacher Only Day- all COL- No School
- Last Day Term 3 - Fri. - October 1 (School Closes at 2.55)
- First Day Term 4 - Mon. - October 18 (School Opens at 8.55)
- Mon 22 Nov Teacher Only Day- No School
- Last Day of 2021 - Wed. Dec. 15 (School closes at 12.30)
· School Uniform – this is compulsory. No exceptions.
All children are required to have the school royal blue polo-shirt, royal blue hat, and on colder days the royal blue polar fleece jersey. All of these are available at the school office.
The lower half of the uniform (short, longs, skorts, skirts) must be plain black and can be purchased in town No stripes, no flowers etc, can
be purchased in town.
· Do your child’s records need updating?
- moved house?
- phone/cellphone numbers changed?
- living arrangements changed?
- emergency contacts changed?
- medical details?
We often have a few ‘bugs’ around the school.
· A common one is a nasty cough/flu type illness. Keep your children home if they have symptoms of this as it spreads easily.
· If your child has had vomiting or diarrhoea, they MUST stay home for 2 days after the last event. This illness definitely spreads quickly around the school.
· Headlice are always around so make sure that you check your child’s hair regularly (we suggest weekly) and treat the hair if necessary. We have treatments available from school for free. Just pop in and we can give you some.
· If your child is at all unwell, please keep them home so that they don’t pass bugs on to other children. Also if a child is feeling unwell they are not able to learn easily and are much better off at home snuggled up in bed.
Don’t forget to contact the school office to let us know when your child is unwell please.
Volunteers needed for supervision of our school patrollers. The children are well trained, it is just a matter of having an adult supervise from 8.30-9.00. We need help on the following days - Front Gate: Wednesday, Friday, Back Gate: Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday.