Major Family Update
École Sir John A. Macdonald PS - Week of April 5th 2021
See Yourself at Sir JAM
Some our of educators are leading the learning on equity, inclusion and antiracism at our school. They have are sharing resources for educators to help us lay the foundations to for equity, inclusion and anti-racism learning at Sir JAM. An important goal is to better represent and celebrate the diversity in our school so that students can see themselves represented and included. Mme Zirpolo and Mme Sauve-Leroux's class led the way with a shared reading of the book, Brown. We continue to explore the intentional uses of mentor texts in the primary grades, and the team ordered multicultural crayons for all classes so that students have a better selection of colours of skin tones in crayon boxes.
Scholastic Virtual Book Fair Last Day!
Thank-you for supporting our Scholastic Virtual Book Fair! The fair ends today, April 4th. All purchases over $40.00 are eligible for free shipping. All orders will be shipped directly to your home address.
Visit our school’s Virtual Book Fair site using this link: https://virtualbookfairs.scholastic.ca/pages/5157057
Click on the SHOP NOW button and there will be over 450 titles for you to enjoy. This includes over 150 French titles! You will have to create a NEW user login to shop.
Earth Hour LDSB
Red Maple: We looked at many trees and our class chose red maple! (Allen)
- We love the pretty colour in the fall and it does well in an open space. (Donaldson).
- We love the rich red colours in the fall! ( Pilutti).
Silver Maple: On a choisi celui-là parce que c’est tolérant de plusieurs climats variés et nous fournissons de l’ombre, quelque chose dont notre cour a besoin. Nous aimons aussi que l’arbre aura des jolies couleurs pendant l’automne.
White Pine: On a choisi celui-là car c’est l’arbre de l’Ontario, et ça grandit rapidement.
We will happily plant and care for any tree! (Trevors)
April is Sikh Month
April 5th-Easter Sunday
Monday, April 5th -Easter Monday-no schoolTuesday, April 6th Day 2
- Virtual School Council Meeting 6:00 pm
- Equity & Inclusion Virtual Workshop 7:00 pm
Wednesday, April 7th Day 3
Thursday, April 8th Day 4
- Holocaust Remembrance Day
- Family Dinner Night Pizza Pizza
Friday, April 9th Day 5
- Jersey Day: Support your favourite team!
April 12th -Ramadan Begins and continues until May 11th
April 12th -April16th Spring Break
April 14th -International Day of Pink & Vaisakhi
April 15th -Yom-Ha 'Atzma'ut
April 19th - Return to Classes
April 20th -First Day of Ridvan
April 22nd -Earth Day
April 22nd -Pizza Pizza Family Dinner Night
April 23rd -Red Friday
April 23rd -Yearbook orders due
April 28th -National Day of Mourning: A day to remember and honour those lives lost or injured due to a workplace tragedy.
April 30th- Good Friday Orthodox
Autism Awareness Day
Oral Language Matters
Student presentations in allow students to develop oral language competencies and confidence.
Kinetic Sand Stations
Kinder students loved playing with kinetic sand this week!
Yearbook Orders & Photo Submission Info for Sir JAM VS Students
We welcome photos of our Majors who are attending Virtual School this year! If you would like your child included in the school's 2020-2021 yearbook, email pictures of them by April 3rd to firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Please include your child's or children's first and last name(s) and the grade(s) they're in.
For good yearbook portrait photos, your child should be framed so that the bottom of the photo is just above your child's waist and the top of the photo shows space above your child's head. We also welcome photos of students engaged in activities for Virtual School.
Yearbook orders can be made at ybpay.lifetouch.ca. Our Yearbook ID Code is 12306721 for Ecole Sir John A. Macdonald Public School. Yearbooks are full-c
We're getting ready to welcome future Majors! LDSB has begun the process of registering students for Kindergarten for 2021-2022 school year.
Our school offers both English and French Immersion programs. Please follow the link below for more information about Kindergarten in LDSB.
ASYMPTOMATIC COVID TESTING AVAILABLE TO STUDENTS BY Appointment
Students are invited to participate in voluntary asymptomatic testing (no symptoms) for COVID-19 during designated times. Families must book appointments for students using the assessment centre’s existing booking process (online or by telephone). Walk-ins are not permitted. Parent/guardian consent is required for testing of students under the age of 18. This testing is only for students, staff and bus drivers who DO NOT have COVID-19 symptoms. Anyone with symptoms of COVID-19 must self-isolate and get tested for COVID-19 at a Community Assessment Centre. Learn more and review the schedule for your student's school at https://bit.ly/LDSBAsymptomaticTesting
Covid 19 Active Screening
Online COVID-19 School and Child Care Screening Tool is available in English and French (updated February 19, 2021). This new version replaces what was provided previously and includes updated symptom screening criteria and sibling/household isolation information. Please note that the presence of even one symptom requires self-isolation and testing follow-up.
In addition to daily screening, good hand hygiene, masks, and physical distancing, KFL&A Public Health Advises:
- Stay local and avoid non-essential travel outside of the KFL&A region, especially travel between areas that remain under the stay-at-home order.
- Limit close contact to your household (the people you live with).
- Stay home as much as possible.
Thank-you for supporting the health and well-being of our staff and students.
- Do not drop off or pick up students in the staff parking lot at arrival and dismissal times.
- Please do not park in fire lanes.
- Please do not stop in the roundabout in the visitor parking lot.
- Please respect parking signs and time limits. Please note that bylaw enforcement officers will be patrolling our neighbourhood.
- Always slow down and watch for children in the vicinity of the school.
Family Dinner Nights -Pizza Pizza & Pita Pit
- Pita Pit will donate $1 for every Pita ordered to Sir JAM. Just make sure to mention our school name. This is a daily fundraiser that runs until the end of March. A big thank-you to Pita Pit for supporting our school!
- Every second Thursday, call Pizza Pizza's local number and dedicate your order specifically to our school fundraiser and pick up your own pizza. 5% of your order is donated back to our school. So, make sure to dial the local number 613-545-1639 to order and do your own pick up! A big THANK YOU to our local Pizza Pizza store on Hwy 15. Pizza Pizza Night is scheduled for Thursday, March 25th!
This link will take you to information and LDSB tools for reporting student absences.