Phase 2 On-Campus Learning
Empowering World Class Leaders and Life-Long Learners!
Tuesday, September 15 is coming, and we are so excited to have students in the building! We have taken every precaution to ensure that students and staff are safe including posting directional signs throughout the hallway designating spots for staying 6 feet away from each other, adjusted class size and removed any items that cannot be easily cleaned and designed space for students based on the TEA guidelines for maintaining social distancing. We have designed a schedule that provides for maximum instruction while maintaining teacher planning with their teams. Students will have Specials and Enrichment daily as well as 25 minutes of recess each day. Although instruction will be teacher-led, assignments will be aligned with that of our virtual students to ensure equity in learning.
For extensive information on what school will look like, please view this presentation with your children. Sommer Elementary Student Re-Entry Plan
Teachers will also review this information with their students virtually on Monday before they come to school on Sept. 15. If you have other questions or need more information, please refer to the RRISD Reimagining Education website: https://roundrockisd.org/reimaginingeducation/
If you have further questions about the re-entry plan, please contact Nancy Varljen, Principal or Carlos Molina, Campus Covid Contact.
- Car Riders and Walkers should arrive between 7:20-7:40. Early arrivals will not be admitted into the building until 7:20.
- Bus Riders should receive an email from transportation with their schedule. Please refer to their web page for information on locating your route and pick-up time: https://transportation.roundrockisd.org/ and the Reimagining Education page for safety information.
- In order to facilitate social distancing during morning drop-off, locations have been designated by grade level along the school drive. A map is located in the Student Re-Entry Plan linked above.
- Please note that parents will not be allowed to walk their children up to the building beyond the sidewalks.
- Dismissal times will be staggered in order to provide for appropriate social distancing throughout the halls and while waiting for pickup.
Group 2: * 3rd-4th 2:45
Group 3: *5th 2:50
- Once one group has been dismissed, the next group will be called from their rooms. Please do not arrive early as you will have to wait for your Stallions and will also block our pick-up lines.
- If you have multiple children, please come at the older child's time. We will have the younger students wait in the Outside Learning Area right behind the car rider section or at the side of the building for walkers.
- Locations for pick-up will be the same as last year:
Car Riders-East Side of Building, Car Rider Line by Kindergarten
Walkers-West Side of Building by Gardens and 1st Grade
- As with the beginning of every "new" year, we do expect some glitches over the first week, please be patient as we work through them!
Other Information about Dismissal
- Car Rider Signs will be given to students on the first day of school. Please place these signs in the left side of your windshield every day when you pick up your children.
- If you need additional signs for grandparents or another car, please ask your teacher.
- Tags will be sent home with students on the first day of school to be attached to their backpack. Please update these tags with how your child will get home each day.
The YMCA will begin on campus on Sept. 28. More information will come soon.
- Every class will be assigned one school staff member to monitor their classes during each of these periods throughout the day: Specials/Enrichment, Lunch/Recess. The person will remain the same throughout the day, but will rotate to another class every two weeks.
- The assigned staff member will facilitate the on-line Specials classes including enrichment such as library and counselor lessons, read-aloud, math games, etc.
- Every class will rotate between assigned recess zones each week. Designated areas will have different activities where children can play while maintaining no physical contact and social distancing such as playground equipment, kicking soccer balls, old-fashioned, but fun games such as Red Light, Green Light and Mother May I, bubbles, etc.
- All classes will stay together and maintain a 75 foot distance between each recess zone.
- All students will eat in their classrooms. Students buying lunch in the cafeteria will go through the cafeteria line maintaining social distancing and following safety guidelines.
What Should My Child Bring?
- Content-area notebooks currently being used.
- Basic school supplies: Pencils, pens, paper, crayons, scissors, glue sticks.
- Supplies will not be shared so please bring a school box or bag for storage.
- Teachers will notify you of other supplies needed throughout the first few weeks.
- Water bottles-Water fountains will not be used. We do have two water bottle fillers located in the building.
- Lunch boxes/backpacks will be stored on the back of student chairs.
- Complete information is shared in our Student Re-Entry Plan and on the RRISD Re-Imagining webpage.
- Masks are required for all students PK-5th grade. Although there will be mask breaks given throughout the day, please emphasize the importance of wearing masks with your children in order to ensure the safety of all students. I recommend having more than one mask for your children to wear throughout the week. Be sure to wash out masks each day or wear a different one throughout the week. (We will have a limited number of masks for students to use if needed.)
- Only essential personnel will be allowed into the building including delivery people and guest educators. We have installed an intercom system at the door for all visitors. Please bring your identification to the door if you need to visit the school. If picking up your child from school, we will bring him/her to you outside.
- Cleaning and disinfecting of equipment and classrooms will take place daily!
- Our PTA provided breakfast to our staff outside on Sept. 8 to welcome everyone back to the building!
Thank you PTA for continuing to celebrate us even during this crazy time!
- All of your support through back to school and virtual learning has been amazing! I know that it will continue as we move forward through this year....As I have told our staff several times...
News from PTA
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year!
There are a lot of things we don't know about this school year. But no matter how we educate our children, Sommer PTA will be here for you and your child. We are committed to helping you feel connected and stay informed. Whether your child attends school virtually or on campus, you are invited to support your child’s potential by joining PTA today.
Please join the 2020-2021 Sommer PTA today. You can do so quickly, safely, and securely at www.JoinPTA.org.
Why Join PTA?
Patsy Sommer PTA supports critical academic needs, is an active voice on decisions that impact your child’s health, safety and quality of education, and builds a stronger, more inclusive school community.
We invite you to PTA For Your Child because increasing our membership, even by one, makes it possible to help fund things like:
Learning software, technology, and educational materials
Outdoor learning spaces
Distance PTA programming to support parents, teachers, and students while building community together, even if we are apart
As this school year will be different, so will the activities of the PTA. We will count on you as members to help us decide where to focus our efforts to best meet today’s needs.
As we navigate the challenges of the pandemic, Texas PTA will be at the Capitol, advocating for our students and teachers. 2021 is also a legislative year. Joining PTA ensures your voice is among those backing the future to ensure the best education for Texas children.
So How do you PTA?
There is no wrong or right way to be involved - anything you can give, whether it’s time or money, will support your child’s potential. Everyone can PTA. #YouCanPTA We can do more together than apart. It only takes 5 minutes to join safely and securely online: JoinPTA.org.
With Stallion Pride,
Mina Azari | Vice President 1 | Acting President
Audra Roach & Shilpa Mutyala | Membership Co-Chairs
Patsy Sommer Elementary PTA
There Is No Wrong Way To PTA. How Do You PTA?