Karl Marx (1818-1883)
Marx's Contributions to Sociology and Research
1. Karl Marx isn't known for being a sociologist, but is known for his influence on the field of sociology.
2. Best know for his writing about communism.
3. Believed that the working class would take over the ownership class, and that a utopia will result where government will slowly dissolve.
4. Said the origins of change are materialistic, and not ideas.
5. Believed that anything could destroy itself, and that a new form would rise from the olds self's ashes.
6. Conflict Theory- when organization and change are based upon conflicts based on society.
7. Wrote the Communist Manifesto.
8. Believed that the task of a social scientist was to not describe the world, but to change it.
9. In his system called Marxism, governments existed only to protect the wealthy and not the common good.
10. Marx believed that all historical change was caused by a series of class struggles between the bourgeoisie and the proletariat.