The Cotton Economy
Created by: Damian Mancilla
Some Facts about Cotton in the Civil War
- The Cotton Gin was made by Eli Whitney In 1794.
- Texans Shipped Cotton overland To Rio Grande, Matamoras, Mexico.
- Cotton prices would increase rapidly because that was the only that people were able to grow.
- Cotton was also used as a currency during the civil war.
- South had most of the cotton because they had faster production due to slaves.
- There was said that more then half of the money that was spend during those years was spent on cotton.
- Tarriff/Taxes were really bad because the cotton wasn't able to ship over trains so the taxes would cost more
- They would hire skilled generals to protect cotton because cotton could get the confederates new weapons because it was that important.
Cotton Shipping Routes
Questions about the Cotton Economy
2. What did everyone use cotton for and why?
3. What effect did Cotton have on the U.S
1. Because if there was no need to make cotton there was no slaves and if no slates then no civil war
2. Cotton was used as currency and clothing because it was the only thing people were able to grow because things were scarce
3. If there was no cotton there was no civil war and Crüe civil war might be the biggest thing in history