AMMS Lions Roar
"Recognize the Roar"
September 9, 2019
Mr. Trey Martin, Principal
Dr. Mimi Gamel, 7th Grade Assistant Principal
Ms. Laurie Chans, 6th Grade Assistant Principal
Ms. Marissa Jonas, Assistant Administrator
September 11th Patriots Day
Student Council Informational Meeting
Is your child a leader? Does he or she like solving problems and working with others? Then encourage your child to run for grade level student council representative! Interested in learning more? Student Council will be holding an informational meeting on Thursday, September 12th at 8:00 a.m. Students will wait in the cafeteria and be picked up to attend the meeting.
Report a Safety Tip
Please know that reporting a safety tip directly to our school is the quickest way to a resolution. However, you can also submit an ANONYMOUS TIP to school and district officials through our FCS Tip Line App. Whether it's about bullying, a friend in need of counseling, or suspicious/illegal behavior observed on campus, you can let us know without having to reveal your identity.
Think before you submit. Submission of a False Report is a crime. We take all tips submitted seriously, and will fully investigate each tip thoroughly.
Go to www.fultonschools.org
I Want to......Report a Safety Tip.
AMMS Clubs and After School Enrichment Programs
Most clubs will start the week of September 9th unless otherwise noted. Any questions, please contact the club sponsor.
AMMS 2019-2020 Professional Development Days
September is Attendance Awareness Month
A few notes to consider from the School Social Worker
Dr. John B. Burger, LCSW
- Good attendance contributes to students doing well in school and eventually in the workplace.
- Students are at risk academically if they are chronically absent (missing just two days a month or 10 percent of the school year).
- Prevent absences whenever possible.
- Students are more likely to attend school if they feel safe (emotionally + physically), connected, supported, and believe they can learn and achieve.
- Chronic absence is a problem we can solve when the whole community collaborates with families and schools.
- Families, educators and community partners need to monitor how many days a student misses from school.
- Reducing chronic absence helps create more equitable academic outcomes, especially for children who live in poverty, experience discrimination and have disabilities.
8th Grade Savannah Trip Coming In November!
We are proud to offer the Autrey Mill eighth grade students an exciting and educational trip to Savannah, GA. The Georgia Trip will take place November 7th – November 8th and will include visits to First African Baptist Church, River Street, Fort Jackson, Forsyth Park, and historic tours of Savannah.
The trip is being sponsored by the 8th Grade Social Studies department. We will be leaving before school on November 7th and returning in the evening of November 8th. We will have forty staff chaperones with an expected ratio of 12 students for every adult.
We will travel to Savannah in luxury motor coaches. While in Savannah, 8th grade Georgia Studies comes to life as students visit places of historic interest. We also offer students some social time with shopping on River Street Park and an evening riverboat cruise and dance.
The cost of the trip is $228. We feel all students will benefit from this activity; however, attendance is not required and in no way affects a student’s instruction or evaluation. We do reserve the right to cancel this field trip if sufficient money is not available to cover all costs.
Payments and permission forms are due FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 20, 2019.
Permission Form or Opt Out Form
- Both parent and student need to sign the Permission or Opt Out form. Please use student’s given name. These forms are also found on the school website (www.ammslions.org) under quick links Georgia Trip.
- All students must have medical insurance coverage to attend the trip. When completing the permission form, have your student’s medical insurance information handy.
- If your student does not have medical insurance, TW LORD is a low cost option (1-800-633-2360). More information is available here.
- Pay online at “Online School Payments”. If you have extenuating circumstances that prevent you from making an online payment, such as no debit or credit card, please contact the front office.
- All medications needed for trip must be in the clinic prior to the trip. The forms are posted on the school website under Clinic. Please contact the AMMS clinic with questions regarding medication.
- Any student who receives a suspension (ISS or OSS) or multiple detentions prior to the trip as a result of an office referral will be ineligible to attend the trip at the discretion of administration.
- Payment and completed forms must be received in order to participate in roommate selection on Friday, October 4, 2019. Students who provide payment and/or insurance information after this deadline date will be placed in rooms based on availability.
Please contact me at email@example.com if you have any questions or concerns. We look forward to providing a memorable trip for the 8th grade students.
8th grade Assistant Principal
Autrey Mill Middle School
470-254-7622 ext. 48241
Join the PTA!
PTA Volunteer Opportunities for New School Year
The new school year has officially begun and AMMS PTA has spots available for parents to volunteer. We are looking for Chairs and Co-Chairs in different areas. Sign up, volunteer and help us make our school the best place for our kids and staff. Thank you!
If you have not yet joined PTA, please consider doing so! This is the only fundraising done for the entire year and all proceeds go to enriching programs like Science Olympiad, Reflections, Scoliosis Screening, Red Ribbon Week, Teacher Appreciation and so much more!
Sign up at: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/30E0449A5AD2BA64-ptavolunteers
MathCounts tryouts will be held on Tuesday, September 10th. Students trying out should plan to be at the school cafeteria at 7:45 a.m. If they progress to the second round of tryouts, these will be held the following Tuesday, September 17th at 7:45 a.m. Please have permission slips filled out beforehand. Any questions can be sent to Mrs. Potts at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Looking forward to a successful year!
EXTRAMURALS (7th & 8th Graders ONLY)
7th and 8th graders ONLY, who have not failed more than one class the previous semester, including Connections, may try out for the AMMS tennis team.
ALL forms, including a physical, must be completed correctly and personally handed in to Coach Larson ONLY at school by 4:05 p.m. on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27th. Do not wait until the last minute to turn in ALL forms – if a signature(s) and forms are missing the student will be ineligible to try out.
Tryouts will be before school September 30th- October 4th, 7:30 a.m. - 8:30 a.m. on the school tennis courts. Students must bring a racket and a can of tennis balls. We will have practices in the mornings based on the schedules of the students who make the team. Your student must be able to participate in practices and in the tournament at South Fulton Tennis Center on Saturday, October 26th. Each school can enter 2 singles and 2 doubles teams for boys and 2 singles and 2 doubles teams for girls. Matches will follow the 6-game pro set format until the semi-finals, where an 8-game pro set will be played and the finals will play a 10-game pro set. Scoring will be no add, using 15, 30, 40 and game. At 40-all (deuce) the receiver gets to choose the side to receive serve. The team will be based solely on student performance during tryouts.
Email Coach Larson with any questions – email@example.com
7th and 8th graders ONLY, who have not failed more than one class the previous semester, including Connections, may try out for the AMMS volleyball team.
ALL forms, including a physical, must be completed correctly and personally handed in to Coach Larson ONLY at school by 4:05 p.m. on FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 27th. Do not wait until the last minute to turn in ALL forms – if a signature(s) and forms are missing the student will ineligible to try out.
Tryouts will be after school Sept 30th -Oct. 4th, 4:05 p.m.-5:05 p.m. in the gym. The number of students trying out will determine the days of tryouts. We will have practices in the afternoons based on the schedules of the students who make the team. Your student must be able to participate in practices and games. The team will be based solely on student performance during tryouts.
*Please be here to pick up your athlete promptly at 5:05 p.m. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to pick up the students from after school activities and events. Autrey Mill Middle School is not responsible for supervision fifteen minutes after that time. If students are not picked up on time, the student could lose the privilege of participating in the program.
Email Coach Larson with any questions – firstname.lastname@example.org
Practices are held Tuesdays and Thursdays. Games are on Wednesdays and Fridays.
10/23/19 5:30 p.m. Webb Bridge @Autrey Mill
10/30/19 5:30 p.m. Sandy Springs@Autrey Mill
11/1/19 5:30 p.m. River Trail@River Trail
11/6/19 5:30 p.m. Ridgeview@Ridgeview
11/8/19 5:30 p.m. Northwestern@Northwestern
11/13/19 5:30 p.m. Hopewell@Autrey Mill
11/15/19 5:30 p.m. Holcomb Bridge@Holcomb Bridge
Basketball - Boys & Girls
Both teams will be coached by Coach Dustin Owens email@example.com
Information Meetings will be held after school on the following days:
4:00 p.m. Wednesday, October 2nd
4:00 p.m. Wednesday, November 6th
4:00 p.m. Wednesday, December 4th
Students only need attend one meeting. Meetings will last approximately 10 minutes and will not affect student transportation home. No parents need attend.
Boys- Monday, December 9th & Wednesday, December 11th
Girls- Tuesday, December 10th (and maybe Thursday the 12th depending on numbers)
Fulton County policy dictates that only 7th and 8th graders may participate in extramurals. As a result, 6th graders will not be allowed to tryout. There is one boys' team and one girls' team for the school