The Ritenour Review
2017 - 2018 Fourth Grade Weekly News
Veterans's Day Celebration
The Boone Meadow students and staff look forward to celebrating our American heroes from 1:00-2:00 on FRIDAY, November 10th*, 2017
· From 1:00-1:25, our honored Veterans have the option to be escorted to our café for light treats and drinks. We hope you will be able to join us!
· If you choose to attend the celebration and presentation from students, our program will begin promptly at 1:30 in our gymnasium.
We look forward to celebrating our military heroes next Friday from 1:00-2:00.
Click here to complete pre-registration check-in for each attending adult. It's quick and easy!
· Page 1: Select the green “Next Step” button.
· Page 2: Enter your name & birthday when prompted. When it asks for "Building" select Boone Meadow Elementary. Select the green “Next Step” button.
· Page 3: When prompted for “Person Visiting” use the student’s name, then type “Veterans Day” when it asks for your “Reason for Visit.”
· It will then ask for the date of the visit. Please use the date of the actual event, November 10, 2017.
· Disregard the “If you’d like to notify anyone portion…” on this page and hit Next
Be sure to sign in at the front desk when you arrive. Your pre-registration will assist
I try to separate culminating activities; however, this week seemed to have a BUNCH! We finished our math unit, our energy unit, we are 99% finished typing our final essays in narrative writing AND we revised our end of the unit reading assessments - WHEW! As we ended the week, we closed a lot of chapters in our fourth grade year on a high note. We challenged ourselves and we are all exhausted, but better in the end.
In reading, we kicked off our Non-fiction reading unit. We initially discussed the typed of non-fiction in the world. After several students mentioned topics of informational books, we started to identify different types of reading material that are also in the non-fiction category: menus, billboards, brochures, tombstones, recipes, how-to books, etc. As we opened our minds to this type of literature, we realized we read this style more than we realize.
In science, we finished up our Energy unit. We had a lot fun this week building PPT to help us review all of the information we learned along our journey. Note to self, nine-year-olds creating PPT takes longer than expected. They learned SO much about the process. I will schedule more time for them to explore this avenue in the future.
Coming up next!
- Math: We jump into fractions and decimals!
- Reading: We will learn to read informational texts with vigor and depth.
- Science: We will kick off our Motion and Design unit.
- Writing: We will review Boxes and Bullets from last year.
New Reading Log Voting!
November 9th - PTO Meeting
November 10th - Veterans Day Program
November 13th - School board meeting
November 22nd-24th - Thanksgiving break
December 14th - Boone Meadow Voices concert in the BME cafe at 7:00 PM
December 25th-January 5th - School closed for winter break