VHS Student Services Newsletter
Hello Viking Families!
Vocational Presentations & Applications
Attention Sophomores and Juniors!
Are you interested in being apart of a vocational program next year? Make sure to fill out the Google Form below to attend the informational session on November 15th at VHS. Please visit PCCTE.org for more information regarding the application process and the different program offerings.
We always recommend students and parents to also attend the Vocational Open Houses on December 6th and January 26th. This is a great way to learn more specifics about the program you are interested in.
If students choose to apply to a vocational program, applications will open on November 11th @ pccte.org. Remember to apply early!
https://forms.gle/HCL4VEtwrSqvmM3A7 - Nov. 15 Informational Session
College Goal Sunday - November 6th
IB Diploma Night - November 17th
Sophomores - Fall Meeting Information
Freshmen - Fall Meeting Information
SAT/ACT Weekend Test Dates - Register Today!
SAT - December 3rd @ VHS - https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/sat/registration
ACT - December 10th @ Portage HS - https://www.act.org/content/act/en/products-and-services/the-act/registration.html
SAT Prep Resources
Free SAT Prep Available for November and December Testers
Schoolhouse.world, from the founder of Khan Academy, is offering free online tutoring for students who are taking the SAT in November and December. Please make your students aware of this unique opportunity to prepare for the SAT this fall.
- What are the SAT Bootcamps? The Schoolhouse SAT Bootcamps are a four-week long tutoring series and research study to help students prepare for the upcoming SAT. Sessions take place twice a week (75 minutes per session) and students have the flexibility to select the dates & times that best fit their schedule based on the bootcamps available.
- What is covered? Students will learn from a certified peer tutor in a cohort of up to 10 other students throughout the bootcamp. During sessions, students will practice multiple full length SAT practice tests and get personalized support for the most challenging questions & concepts.
- When are they happening? We are currently offering bootcamps to help prepare for the November and December SATs. The November SAT Bootcamp will run from October 8th to November 4th and the December SAT Bootcamp will run from November 5th to December 2nd.
- Why should I participate? These bootcamps are 100% free and have proven highly effective! Students who participated in previous bootcamps experienced a 90+ average score increase across both sections. In addition, learners have reported an increase in content understanding and testing confidence (hear it directly from our learners, Setareh and Kavish).
- How do I sign up? Visit this link to enroll in an SAT Bootcamp! Registrations for the November bootcamp close on October 6th - spots may fill up quickly so sign up soon.
Attention Seniors! Remember to visit your Naviance account and click on "Scholarship Search" for new scholarships.
Scholarships Available on Naviance:
- Elks Most Valuable Student Competition... due 11.14
- Dr. Juan Andrade Jr. Scholarship for Young Hispanic Leaders... due 11.30
- Driver Education Initiative Award... due 11.30
*Applicants are solely responsible for the directions listed for each scholarship!
2022 Valparaiso Turkey Trot - Volunteers Needed
Amanda Roof with Porter-Starke Services at firstname.lastname@example.org
VCS social service team
Community food assistance link:
Tips for lowering holiday stress:
Do You Know Your Graduation Requirements?!
Questions? Contact us!
VHS SCHOOL COUNSELORS
(A - CU) Mr. Dan McKibben - email@example.com
(CV - HOL) Mrs. Jessica Kus - firstname.lastname@example.org
(HOM - MILK) Mrs. Sarah Deakin - email@example.com
(MILL - SCHV) Mrs. Tori McCaleb - tMcCaleb@valpo.k12.in.us
(SCHW - Z) Mrs. Kari Owney - firstname.lastname@example.org
(V.A.L.E. Students) Ms. Gordana Sormaz - email@example.com
VHS SOCIAL WORKERS
(A-L) Ms. Natalie Miller - firstname.lastname@example.org
(M-Z) Mrs. Jody Kristoff - email@example.com