Notes from the Learning Commons
Inquiry Resource Sharing
Math in the MakerSpace
Right now we are featuring Pixar in a Box, a collaboration between Pixar Animation studios and Khan academy, which focuses on the skills necessary for creating a Pixar movie. Many of these are math concepts, such as:
- Parabolic arcs (Environmental Modeling)- our first featured topic
- Subdivision surfaces (Character Modeling)- featured this week and next
- Linear interpolation (Animation)- coming up next, after Easter weekend
Tools for Engagement from a Trusted Name
What factors are important to consider in order to make informed energy decisions?
- This interactive site, which is driven by the essential question above, allows students to make energy- related decisions while taking into consideration economic, political, environmental, social, and other factors.
- This dynamic collection of resources focuses on presenting the news of the ancient world in an engaging and relevant way. Articles feature the beautiful photography that National Geographic is known for.
Open Library Night: March 28th from 6:00- 8:00
Quote on Questioning....
Essential Questions are posed to stimulate thought. If a student can answer a question immediately this indicates that he/ she was not challenged to think. "The aim is sustained inquiry and rich discussion" (McTighe, Wiggins 43).
McTighe, Jay and Wiggins, Grant. Essential Questions: Opening Doors to Student Understanding. Alexandria, VA: ASCD, 2013.