Nixon versus Eisenhower
Dwight Eisenhower (Republican) "Ike"
- Thirty-fourth president
- Terms: 1953-1961
- Born in Texas
- introduced the New Deal and Fair Deal Programs in a re-establishment of a balanced budget
- War veteran, Commander of Allied forces in Europe in WWII
- Conservative domestic policies
- Cool crisis management
- Strengthened Social Security, increased minimum wage, and created the Department of Health, Education, and Welfare
- Created the Interstate Highway Program, the largest public works program
- Signed an armistice and ended Korean War
- Never voted until he became president\
- Best known for always enjoying strong public approval
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
ranged between: 52-73%
Overall Average: 65%
Richard Nixon (Republican) "Tricky Dick"
- Thirty-seventh president
- Presiding from: 1969-1974
- born in California
- U.S. Senator from California
- Lawyer, a businessman, and a navy officer
- Served two terms as VP to Eisenhower
- Presided over a period of legislative innovation
- rennewed relations with China
- Ended Vietnam War
- Remembered best for the only president resigning from office
- Watergate Scandal
"A man is not finished when he is defeated. He is finished when he quits."
ranged between: 38-62%
Overall Average: 48%