Mrs. Zaputil's Weekly News
What's happening in 3rd grade?
Friday, September 4th, 2015
Reminder: No School Monday!
Hot, Hot, Hot!
The KIDS Group fall fundraiser this year is a spell-a-thon. Look for information in your child's mail today! This is a great opportunity to raise money for our KIDS Group who do so much to improve our school!There should be a yellow information sheet stapled with:
- Donation Collection Procedure
- Pledge Sheet
- Our 3rd Grade spelling list for the week of the spell-a-thon (not next week, the following week)
- Envelope for collections
Wonders ELA Curriculum
Weekly Reading Assessments
Students took their first weekly reading assessment on Friday. We start the year having students take these tests paper pencil, without an essay. Once students take the test, we have them transfer their answers to the electronic format of the test so they get used to how this works. After this, I had students go ahead and try and share their test results with you. So if you got an email inviting you to view a document from your child, this is what it was.
- Some tend to have problems viewing this document, and we're not completely sure why, however one thing we've noticed is the difference in trying to view it on a smart phone vs. a desktop/laptop computer. It seems to work better through a regular computer for one reason or another.
- If you're still having difficulty viewing this document, the assessment results are saved on your child's Google Drive. You can always access it by logging on to your child's google account (username/password is in the front of their planner).
NWEA MAP Testing: September 14th-17th
Friday Mail Papers
Here's the plan:
- Tuesday: 1.6 Problem Solving- Choose the operation (How do you know when you need to add or subtract?)
- Wednesday: Chapter 1 Review
- Thursday: Chapter 1 Test
- Friday: Go over Chapter 1 Test and start Chapter 2: Place Value and Number Sense
- Friday: 2.1 Even and Odd
With math, students may end up with homework if it takes longer to teach a concept because then their work time has to be cut short, but again, if they have an understanding of what we talked about, they should be able to finish their homework within 20 minutes.
The trickiest part about homework in third grade is making sure students are responsible about placing work they don't finish in their planners right away so they know it needs to be taken home. Then, at the end of the day when they write in their planners, unfinished work (homework) should be circled or highlighted. Thank you all for doing a great job signing your child's planner at night. Hopefully you're able to take the time to go over their work from the day and make sure they remember turning checked off work in.
Thanks for your support!
Classroom Wish List
- Some things have already been crossed off our list because a sticky note was taken at Back to School Night.
- Other things have been donated like snacks and stickers, but I haven't crossed off our list because we'll always take more of these items!
- If you find something on the list you'd like to donate, please let me know and I'll cross it off the list! There are a wide variety of items that can be used in our classroom! Thank you for considering!
Dates to Remember
Please remember every Wednesday, students are dismissed at 2:00. All other days we dismiss at 3:10.
- Today- Friday, September 4th: Book Orders Due
- Monday, September 7th: Labor Day- No School
- Tuesday, September 8th: Brenner's Birthday
- September 14th-17th: NWEA MAP Testing
- Monday, September 14th: Spell-A-Thon Pledge Sheets Due
- Monday, September 14th: K.I.D.S Group Meeting 6:30pm (Elementary Library)
- Tuesday, September 15th: Kiara's Birthday
- Wednesday, September 16th: 3rd-5th Grade School Pictures
- Thursday, September 17th: Spell-A-Thon Spelling Tests will be administered
- Friday, September 18th: No School for kids- Staff Development
- Friday, September 25th: Pledge Money Due