School Psychologist Newsletter
Self-care, Mental Health, & Community Resources
Caring for Grieving Kids: A free workshop for parents, guardians, and adult family members
Judi’s House is offering a free workshop for parents, guardians, and adults in the community who are caring for, or want to learn more about, grieving children. This virtual workshop will be limited in size to ensure participants have a chance to ask questions. The workshop is on Saturday, September 19 | 10:00 - 11:15 a.m. To reserve your spot, RSVP to SchoolGroups@judishouse.org
FREE Meals for all kids this fall!
DPS received a waiver from the USDA this week to allow us to once again provide free breakfast and lunch meals to all kids 18 years and younger through Dec. 31. Families can pick up breakfast and lunch meals Monday through Friday from 11 a.m.-1 p.m. at curbside pickup sites throughout DPS. We’re also providing weekday meal delivery service to schools and community locations across the city. Yellow school buses will stop at each delivery site for 20 minutes to hand out breakfast and lunch meals.
Students do not need to be present for adults to pick up their meals, and families can visit any school site regardless of which school they attend. Breakfast and lunch meals for adults are also available for purchase at a small cost.
- Food Distribution: https://www.dpsk12.org/coronavirus/food-distribution/
- WIFI, Chromebooks, & Hotspots: https://www.dpsk12.org/coronavirus/family-resources/
- ClothesToKids Denver (contact Lauren for a referral): http://clothestokidsdenver.org/
COVID -19 Resources
- City of Denver Information & Resources: https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/covid-19.html
- Relief Support and Services: https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/covid-19/support-services.html
- Hunger Free Colorado: https://www.hungerfreecolorado.org/covid-19/
- Text FOOD or COMIDA to 877-877 to receive food distribution centers for kids 18 & up
Mental Health Crisis Supports
*Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
*National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24 hour English and Spanish
- *Colorado Crisis Services
Visit a walk-in center
Text "TALK" to 38255
- *Safe2Tell: For anonymously reporting safety concerns
Or, download the Safe2Tell App
- *Trevor Project for LGBTQ youth that are suicidal (and for other LGBTQ youth resources)
Text “START” to 678678
- CU Denver - $10 Counseling Sessions for DPS Students and Families
- Second Wind Fund
- An organization that pays for up to 12 FREE therapy sessions for students experiencing suicidal ideation. Please contact Lauren, the school psychologist, if you think your child may qualify for this service.
The Window of Tolerance
We all have a different window of tolerance. How big or small is your window of tolerance? What experiences have you had that make your window the size that it is?
How to Feel your Feelings...
It is actually healthy to feel your feelings! Many of us have learned that feelings and emotions are something to "get rid of" or to "try to control". If you are having big feelings, your mind is trying to tell you something! Try tuning in to your emotions and see what they might be trying to tell you.
Coping Skills - In English and Spanish
Help improve your well-being and widen your window of tolerance by practicing healthy coping skills!