School Psychologist Newsletter
Self-care, Mental Health, & Community Resources
Pack a Backpack - Backpack Distribution August 5th!
You will need to fill out a "Backpack Assistance Form" prior to arrival. Please call Calvin Knutzen at 720-422-1984 and he will be happy to have a form completed for you.
DMHS Families - Please Complete the Return to School Community Survey!
I am SO excited that DMHS staff will SOON be reconnecting with DMHS students and families. We would really like to hear from each and every one of you about our plans for the 2020-2021 school year. Please take a moment to complete the DMHS Return to School Community Survey.
FYI, this is the same survey that was sent in the most recent community update email from our new principal, Cori Herbst-Loehr.
Take care and be well,
- Food Distribution: https://www.dpsk12.org/coronavirus/food-distribution/
- WIFI, Chromebooks, & Hotspots: https://www.dpsk12.org/coronavirus/family-resources/
- Summer Programs: https://www.denvergov.org/youthprogramlocator/
- ClothesToKids Denver (contact Lauren for a referral): http://clothestokidsdenver.org/
Grab & Go Meal Pick-Up at select DPS Schools
Meal delivery is also available at select denver library locations. Some locations will also be handing out free books!
COVID -19 Resources
- City of Denver Information & Resources: https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/covid-19.html
- Relief Support and Services: https://www.denvergov.org/content/denvergov/en/covid-19/support-services.html
- Hunger Free Colorado: https://www.hungerfreecolorado.org/covid-19/
- Text FOOD or COMIDA to 877-877 to receive food distribution centers for kids 18 & up
Mental Health Crisis Supports
*Available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week
*National Suicide Prevention Lifeline 24 hour English and Spanish
- *Colorado Crisis Services
Visit a walk-in center
Text "TALK" to 38255
- *Safe2Tell: For anonymously reporting safety concerns
Or, download the Safe2Tell App
- *Trevor Project for LGBTQ youth that are suicidal (and for other LGBTQ youth resources)
Text “START” to 678678
- CU Denver - $10 Counseling Sessions for DPS Students and Families
- Second Wind Fund
- An organization that pays for up to 12 FREE therapy sessions for students experiencing suicidal ideation. Please contact Lauren, the school psychologist, if you think your child may qualify for this service.
The Window of Tolerance
We all have a different window of tolerance. How big or small is your window of tolerance? What experiences have you had that make your window the size that it is?
How to Feel your Feelings...
It is actually healthy to feel your feelings! Many of us have learned that feelings and emotions are something to "get rid of" or to "try to control". If you are having big feelings, your mind is trying to tell you something! Try tuning in to your emotions and see what they might be trying to tell you.
Coping Skills - In English and Spanish
Help improve your well-being and widen your window of tolerance by practicing healthy coping skills!