Third Grade News
Week of 3.23
Thank you, parents, for all of your help and support with this month's book report project. The biography buddies are simply incredible. The students were so excited to share them this morning and they all did an excellent job. I realize that this type of project requires a lot of assistance from adults and I appreciate you putting so much effort into helping the students realize their ideas for their buddies! Take a look below at each of our buddies!
Here's what we did this week....
- In Language Arts we focused on Fact & Opinion. Students reviewed different genres of stories and determined whether they contained facts and opinions. Afterwards, they went on a Scavenger Hunt to find particular facts and opinions in various genres of stories. We learned about a debate and how opinions need to be supported by reasons why. Students read a debate about whether or not children should have TVs in their bedrooms (overwhelmingly no), and whether or not students should have to wear uniforms. We read the debates closely, highlighted facts and opinions, and formed our own opinions.
- In math, we continued with multiplication & division of 6, 7, 8, and 9. We continue to use known strategies such as equal groups, repeated addition and subtraction, decomposing numbers, arrays, and the commutative property to help us. Next week we will learn how to multiply and divide by 10, 11, and 12. Afterwards, students will begin to be tested on their multiplication facts and will track their progress on the tall cabinet in the classroom.
- In Social Studies, students continued their Explorers project. They are busy gathering information for their project. If your child needs materials for their project, please remember that it is due on Monday (unless it is an outfit which we won't need until April 9th).
- In Writing, students completed their Penguin Research and wrote their nonfiction reports on various types of penguins. They are on display in the hallway! Be sure to use your QR scanner to hear the sounds of some of our penguins!
- Next week we will continue exploring fact and opinion with a small classroom debate!
- Citizenship Month begins on April 1st. Please dress down in Purple!
- National Poetry Month begins April 1st. We will be celebrating in many ways, including a Poem a Day challenge. Information will come home on Monday.
- School is closed for Spring Break from April 2nd to April 6th. Enjoy your break!
- Our Travel Agency Grand Opening will be on Friday, April 10th at 9:30am.