ECISD AVID in Action
December 2014 Edition
District Wide College Day!
This is an important step to promoting a college-going culture school and district wide.
If our students can dream about college while our teachers prepare them for college, then they will likely act on their dreams and make them a reality!
College Day - AVIDIZED!
Strategies to Promote a College-Going Culture
- Teachers can share their personal educational journey. Discussions can focus on successes and challenges. Encourage students to open up about their aspirations and anxieties.
- Create a College Corner in your classroom or hall. It can include information about institutions with a focus on your subject matter or interests.
- Name your classroom or hallways after colleges or universities and have your students research them periodically throughout the year. They can use comparecollegetx.com or bigfuture.collegeboard.org
- Invite college professors or admissions representatives as guest speakers to inform your students about entrance requirements or college life.
- Keep expectations and rigor high throughout the year and integrate college readiness in every subject matter.
Featured WICOR Strategy
Strategies for ALL students!
Collaboration - Helping Trios
Helping Trios is a collaborative learning strategy that is used to engage students and maximize learning. Students take turns 'helping' each other with a concern or problem related to a teacher posed topic. By helping each other learn, all students strengthen their own learning. Students use their listening, note-taking and problem solving skills during this activity. Teachers serve as facilitators.
Online Reading Resource
There are many articles and images included this month. Some include...
Articles/Lessons in AVID Elementary Weekly:
- A Note-Taking Activity Idea on Understanding Emotions suitable for K-3
- A Note-Taking Wicorized Lesson on a Look Inside Mummies for students in grades 3-6 and
- A Leveled Questions Activity Idea on Exoskeleton Technology for students in grades 5-6
Articles/Lessons in AVID Weekly for Secondary:
- "Trading in Ivory and Horn" - Graphic
- "Weather makes people buy things they don't want"
- "Fight fear with facts" includes an Instructional Model Lesson