ESD Superintendent Update
Some thoughts for the starting school year
Back to School Welcome
Welcome to the 2022-23 school year! I would like to take this opportunity to introduce myself as your new superintendent. I began as a teacher in this district 31 years ago and have served as a mentor teacher, assistant principal, principal, and more recently, as assistant superintendent of instruction/pupil services. I look forward to continuing the traditions of excellence in education that have been the foundation of our district for years.
We are very excited about this coming school year and have been working hard to prepare for our students.
- Several construction projects have been underway throughout the summer, and upgrades to our facilities will provide new and improved learning environments.
- Our administrators, teachers, and support staff have been attending summer trainings in July to continue building our classroom toolkits for instruction.
- A new ESD mobile app will provide families with easy access to their child's grades and academic progress, and school related events and activities.
All of these preparations and new tools underscore the value we place on our partnerships with our families and our commitment to offering an outstanding education for students.
We look forward to welcoming students and families back on Monday, August 8, 2022. I will be visiting schools during the Back to School Night events in the next few weeks, so if you see me, please introduce yourself. I look forward to meeting our families.
Together, let’s make the most of the opportunities ahead.
New Etiwanda School District Website & Mobile App
We appreciate the partnerships we maintain with our families and understand the value of communication. You may have noticed we have unveiled a new Etiwanda website. This resource has been designed with families in mind, and we hope that you find our new site easy to navigate and filled with all the information you need.
We also have a new Etiwanda School District (ESD) mobile app which is available through the iTunes or Google Play store. Families can use the mobile app to review their child’s grades, view school calendars, stay up-to-date on current Etiwanda related events, and even email teachers.
We encourage you to download the app as you prepare for the new school year.
Health & Safety for 2022-23
The California Department of Public Health (CDPH) provides guidance for K-12 schools to support a safe environment for teaching and learning. For the 2022-23 school year, the following CDPH guidance will be implemented to mitigate the spread of COVID-19 in schools.
- If your child tests positive for COVID-19, please call your child's school, as soon as possible, to report results.
- Families will be notified when a student is exposed to a COVID-19 positive individual in their classroom or shared space. An exposed student may continue to attend school while the family monitors the child for symptoms of infection.
- Students who test positive for COVID-19 must remain at home for five days from symptom onset date or positive test date. After five days and significant symptom improvement, a student may return to school. A negative test is recommended before returning to school. Schools will provide at-home test kits to families who request them.
- If a student continues to test positive on or after day five, they should remain at home until the test is negative or ten days have passed since symptom onset.
- Students may wear masks to school, if desired by family. Additional disposable masks are available in classrooms for students who request a mask.
Please call your child's school Health Office, if you need assistance with COVID-19 questions or concerns.
Measure I Bond Priority Projects
This summer, several priority projects were completed as part of the Measure I Bond plan.
- Grapeland Elementary is in the process of finalizing the installation of a new HVAC system that will provide better heating and cooling for classrooms.
- Caryn Elementary upper field is being leveled and sodded to provide students with a safe and useful field for PE and sports.
- C. P. Lightfoot Office and Library renovations are being completed, after more than a year of construction, providing staff, students and families with additional facilities and a new library.