Welcome Back Torringford Tigers
A Message from Mrs. Galullo & Mrs. Austin
Dear Torringford Tiger Families,
Welcome to the 2022-2023 school year! We hope you are enjoying your summer break and have had time to relax, have fun, and learn new things.
Torringford School is such a special place to learn and grow. We are proud of our Torringford Tigers and have high expectations for each and every student. Our students are safe, respectful, and responsible. Together with our dedicated staff, we strive to make connections with students to help them feel valued, accepted, and safe. Our Torringford motto of “Educate, Explore, Inspire” will continue to guide our mission to provide a rigorous and joyful school experience. We are committed to fostering positive relationships to promote healthy, enthusiastic, life-long learners.
Partnering with families critical to your student's success. We want to ensure that all families feel welcome and connected to our Torringford School family. Be on the lookout for upcoming Principal Coffee Hours and family events. Please don't hesitate to contact either of us at 860-489-2300.
We encourage families to stay connected and informed by following our school website for important updates and information. Click HERE to view our Torringford School Website.
Be on the lookout for your class placement letter with your new teachers name to arrive in the mail after August 16th.
Enjoy the remainder of the summer.
Kelly Galullo & Georgia Austin
Launching Into Healthy Learning
- If students test negative with a home Covid test and do not have a fever greater than 100, you can send your students to school.
- If your students have severe symptoms of cough, fever, nausea, or fever over 100, please keep them home until they no longer have these symptoms.
- If they test positive for Covid, students will need to quarantine for 5 days and can return to school wearing a mask for the next 5 days.
- If students have the sniffles, allergies or are coughing, you may choose to have them wear a mask to school. Masks are still available at our school sites, please let us know if you feel your children need them.
*Connecticut Department of Education and Connecticut Department of Health
Check the virtual backpack each week. This can be found on Torringford School's webpage. This is where you will find flyers, forms, and notifications specific to Torringford School.
Click HERE to open up the Virtual Backpack!
Meet & Greet
Monday, Aug 29, 2022, 02:00 PM
Torringford Elementary School, Charles Street, Torrington, CT, USA
Welcome New Staff and Staffing Updates
We have several new staff members and current staff who have new roles. We are excited to welcome the following people to the Torringford family.
Bryanna Woodman; Nurse
Lindsay Belanger; Kindergarten
Abigail Pelletier; Kindergarten
Aimee Cruz; Kindergarten (formerly Aimee Elliott, Congratulations on your marriage)
Caitlin O'Connor; Grade 1
Chantale Yunt; Grade 1
Stefanie Meyers; Grade 1
Olivia Mattiello; Grade 1
Megan Lefevre; Intervention (formerly Gr 1)
Matt Mastrogiovanni; Grade 2 (formerly K)
Elaine Surveski; Pre-K Voices Teacher
Elizabeth Stephens; Voices 2 Teacher
Shelby Luminati; Intensive Resource Room
Cheryl Gowlis; Speech & Language
Francesca Sullivan; TESOL
Demi Ahmadi; Behavior Interventionist
Bryttnee Aeschliman; Paraprofessional
Illana Hawley; Voices Paraprofessional
Nicolle Cruz; Bilingual paraprofessional
Keep a copy of the school calendar on your refrigerator. Note the early dismissal days each month. Students are dismissed at 1:30 on early dismissal days. District Calendar
Updates and Changes to Your Student's Information
Please make sure you have updated any changes to email, phone number, or address with Ginny Kinahan or Melissa Smith in the main office. We are using the current information on file to call, email, and mail correspondences. An updated registration form will go home with your child on the first day. Please return the form with changes so we can update our system.
Should you have any questions or concerns, please don't hesitate to reach out to our friendly office staff at 860-489-2300.
Breakfast & Lunch
Snacks are not provided by the school. Send one small healthy snack and a water bottle each day.
Our School Menu can be found be clicking HERE.
First Day of School ~ Thursday, September 1st
Please send your student on the first day with a:
- full size backpack
- small snack
- water bottle
- extra clothes (if needed for accidents/ spills)
- Sneakers students can fasten independently (for recess and PE)
New students are asked to wear a name tag as well. Label all student belongings with their name. Many students have the same bags, coats, etc. It will help prevent lost or misplaced items.
Student Arrival & Dismissal
Click HERE to review bus routes and the bus schedule.
Drop Off & Pickup Procedures
Cars line up, single-file, by the sidewalk on the Torringford West side of the building. Torringford staff will assist students exiting and entering cars on the passenger side of the vehicle. For the safety of all students and families, adults should remain in their vehicle. You will be asked to show identification to staff when picking up your child.
- Student drop off is between 8:30 - 8:45.
- Student pick up is between 3:25 - 3:45.
SUGGESTED Student Supply Lists
Supply lists vary by grade.
Click HERE for our current suggested supply lists. Supplies can be dropped off during the meet and greet event or brought in by the student on the first day of school.
If you have a question or concern about your student's supply list, please call the main office at 860-489-2300.
A Note from the Main Office
- We are here to help you and partner with you to ensure a positive school experience for your child. Feel free to call Ginny or Melissa if you have questions or need assistance. Will will do our best to direct your call/ question to the appropriate staff.
- Device agreements, bus/ car rider tags, and other pertinent forms will be sent home in your child's backpack on the first day of school. Be sure to complete forms as soon as possible and return them to the school.
- Any early releases or parent pick ups must have written documentation to be honored. Be sure to send your child with a note if you plan to pick them up early or are changing the dismissal plan for the day. Due to the volume of calls, needs, and communications at the end of the school day, no child will be dismissed through the office after 3 pm (1 pm on early release days). Please plan accordingly.
- All absences must be called in and verified through a written note. Call the office and leave a message with the reason for your child's absence. When the child returns send the absences note back to school from parent or doctor.
- Teachers cannot be reached in the classroom during the school day. Email or leave a message and they will return your call when they are not teaching.
- Read the Student Handbook located on the Torringford website. There are specific details regarding policies and procedures.
- Always bring identification when coming to the building. Visitors must be pre-approved with an appointment/ volunteer opportunity through a staff member or the PTO. Visitors are asked to come alone with no extended family members. All visitors must sign in and out, indicate where they will be in the building, and wear a visitors badge while on property.
5 Back to School Tips
- Begin shifting your student’s sleep routines several days before school starts. Go to bed earlier and wake up earlier than you normally would during the summer. Try to decrease your student’s screen time before going to bed.
- Read together every day! Children who are read to at least 20 minutes per day are exposed to almost 2 million words per year. Kids who engage in reading 20 minutes a day, statistics show, are likely to score better than 90% of their peers on standardized tests. Reading together is a great time to bond and model a love of reading.
- Review your student’s bus stop location, route assignment, and pick-up times. Bus routes can be found on the district website or by clicking HERE.
- Before the first day of school, make sure the school office has your correct contact information, including the current mailing address, phone number, email address, and emergency contact information.
- For our youngest students, it is helpful to write your student’s name, the parent/guardian name, address, and phone number on an index card or tag and secure this inside your student’s backpack. Also label jackets, hats, lunchboxes, and other items that will be brought to school with your student’s name and grade.
Click HERE to read additional tips provided by HealthyChildren.org provides additional Back-to-School Tips.
Starting in kindergarten, too many absences may cause children to fall behind in school.
• Missing 10%, or about 2 days each month over the course of a school year, can make it harder to learn to read.
• Students can still fall behind if they miss just 1 or 2 days every few weeks.
• Being late to school may lead to poor attendance.
• Absences and tardiness can affect the whole classroom if the teacher has to slow down learning to help children catch up.
WHAT YOU CAN DO?
• Set a regular bedtime and morning routine.
• Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
• Keep your child healthy with frequent hand washing and healthy food choices.
• Develop backup plans for getting to school if something comes up. Call on a family member, a neighbor or another parent.
• Schedule medical appointments and trips when school isn't in session. We have early dismissal on the third Thursday most months. This is a great time to schedule day time appointments.
• If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to teachers, school counselors and other parents for advice on how to make your child feel comfortable and excited about learning.
Torringford Elementary School
Location: 800 Charles Street, Torrington, CT, USA
Phone: (860) 489-2300