Quail Run News
March 1, 2022
From the desk of Mrs. Maynard
Hello Quail Run Families!
Welcome to March! Check out the newsletter below to see what is happening at Quail Run. The district has sent out Covid updates regarding masks now being optional on campus. In case you missed it, you can find that communication below.
In followup to my last communication regarding drop off and pickup times, I want to thank the community for supporting our procedures and respecting our neighbors. We have seen a much safer dismissal process since that communication went out.
I hope to see you all at our Spring Carnival this weekend!
Your Partner in Education,
District Covid Update
Over the last three weeks, several favorable trends related to the COVID-19 pandemic have been observed in our schools and community.
We have observed improving trends in percent positivity, number of COVID-19 cases, student absenteeism, staff absences, and substitute fill rates.
Based on these trends, several revisions to our mitigation plan will be implemented at all of our schools and facilities, beginning Monday, February 28, 2022:
- Face masks will be opt-in only (optional) PreK-12 grade. Teachers, staff, and administrators will no longer monitor or enforce the previous opt-out parent forms.
- Indoor volunteers may return at the discretion of the building principal and/or teacher.
- Notifications for positive cases will only be provided through letters to classroom families in preschool through sixth grade throughout the third quarter. County outbreak letters will be sent home school-wide at all schools.
- The District COVID-19 dashboard will continue to be updated throughout the third quarter.
All students and staff are encouraged to continue to practice healthy hand hygiene and stay home or go home when feeling sick. We will maintain our current protocols for students and staff who test positive for COVID-19.
As always, our plans remain flexible enough to respond to evolving trends. Thank you, in advance, for your cooperation and continued support of student success on the journey of excellence in PVSchools.
Troy J. Bales, Ed.D.
Check out what's happening at Quail Run!
Upcoming State Testing Information
AASA and AzSci
This Spring, PVUSD students in grades 3rd-8th will complete a REQUIRED state test titled, Arizona Academic Standards Assessment, AASA. Students in 5th, 8th, and 11th will also take a state science test titled, AZSci. Statewide testing is very important because it is intended to objectively evaluate whether your child has mastered grade-level standards for their specific grade level.
The AASA and AzSci will provide information that will improve how students are taught, how teachers are coached, and how we can better support students. The state test is intended to give teachers an objective measure of how your child is progressing and measure how they are academically growing compared to other students in the state.
Additionally, the AASA can provide benchmarks for parents and teachers, students, and schools. All public schools are required to administer state standardized assessments to fulfill the requirements of the Every Student Succeeds Act. The scores/information from these required tests are also used as a part of the formula to determine a school and district letter grade from the state.
If you would like to read more information about Arizona state testing, please visit the following website: https://www.azed.gov/assessment
Quail Run Testing Schedule
Our AASA/AzSci testing dates will be as follows:
3rd grade - April 4, 6, 7
4th grade - April 6, 13, 14
5th grade - April 6, 7, 11, 14, 20 (includes Science assessment)
6th grade - April 12, 19, 20
How to help your child prepare for state testing:
- Talk about the test with your child. Wish them luck and send them off with a smile each morning. When they take the test, ask them about it and show interest.
- It is extremely important that students are well rested and arrive to school on time. Students at this age need nine to ten hours of sleep nightly.
- Students need to eat breakfast in order to have the energy to take the test. Research shows students who have eaten breakfast will have more endurance to complete academic activities in a successful manner.
- Please do not schedule any appointments on testing days. Please be on time for school and stay the entirety of the day. Any absences on a scheduled test day will result in makeup testing and affect classroom learning time.
Thank you for a successful Kids Heart Challenge
Thank you to those families that were able to participate in the Kids Heart Challenge supporting the American Heart Association. Thanks to your fundraising efforts, our school was able to donate $7,913.38. Thank you for making a positive impact on our community!
Tax Credit Donations - through April 15, 2022
Here is how you can support Quail Run by making a contribution to receive an Arizona public education tax credit. You can get a tax credit of up to $200 for an individual or $400 per married couple. Beginning in 2016, credit eligible fees paid and contributions made to a public school from January 1 through April 15 of the calendar year may be used as a tax credit on the current OR prior year's tax return. For example, qualifying contributions made to a public school from January 1, 2022 to April 15, 2022 may be used as a tax credit on either your 2020 or 2021 Arizona income tax return. (Pub 707 AZDOR). Click here to make your tax credit donation online. Please reach out to family and friends and ask them to designate their tax credit donations to Quail Run.This is money they will get back in their taxes and will greatly benefit our students.
Your donations help fund our before and after school classes, so please donate so we can keep prices low and provide a variety of clubs for all students!!!
Karate Classes Fundraiser
If you need to relay a message to your student during school hours, you can call the office or leave a message directly on our Voicelink account at (602) 449-5465. The office staff will NOT transfer calls to classrooms, as this will interrupt important instructional time.
There is no lost and found at school this year. Please clearly label your child´s items. Keep this in mind as the weather cools off and we start to wear jackets to school.
If your child forgets their lunch, you may bring it to the front office before 10:00 am. After that time, your child will be given a school lunch. School lunches are free for the duration of this school year. Outside food (McDonald´s, Subway, etc.) is not allowed. Students are also not allowed to bring Starbucks drinks, smoothies, etc. on campus in the morning.
Be sure to communicate end of day arrangements with your student in the morning, prior to coming to school. We want to ensure all students get home safely. If there are any changes in how students get home, please notify the office and the teacher.
School hours are from 8:45 am -3:15 pm. If you are picking up a student early, please be aware that every minute counts and minutes missed accumulate throughout the school year. Also, be aware that students cannot be called to the office early for an appointment. Students will be called from class at the time you arrive to check them out.
Birthday treats must be store-bought and individually wrapped such as Little Debbie´s treats, rice krispies treats, single bags of cookies, etc. No balloons are allowed on campus.
You will need your ID every time you pick up students prior to dismissal.
Your student will not be released if the person picking her/him up is not on the contact list. If you need to add a friend or family member to the contact list you will need to go to Infinite Campus to update Emergency Contact information through your annual update.
You can check your child's grades by downloading the Infinite Campus app or logging on online. Click here for directions.
Spring Enrichment Opportunities
Become a Junior Hero!!!
Congratulations go out to the 66 students that have already become a Junior Hero this year! Keep doing amazing things to make an impact on our community.
Junior Hero is back at Quail Run! Junior Hero is a program that makes it fun for students, parents, and teachers to serve their community and those around them. All heroes receive a t-shirt and a prize!
Steps to become a Junior Hero:
1) Take the Junior Hero Pledge.
2) Help your community through service and log your required hours (see below) on this sheet.
3) Get a signature from an adult upon completion.
4) Turn this completed sheet into your teacher before the end of the school year.
5) You will be recognized by Mrs. Maynard & Mrs. Raymond and receive a Junior Hero t-shirt and prize.
Required Service Hours
Kindergarten: 3 Hours
1st Grade: 4 Hours
2nd Grade: 5 Hours
3rd Grade: 6 Hours
4th Grade: 7 Hours
5th Grade: 8 Hours
6th Grade: 9 Hours
Adults: 7 Hours
Junior Hero is a non-profit 501(c)3 that makes it fun for students, parents, and teachers to serve their community and those around them. The program is 100% volunteer-run and no volunteers receive pay at any level.
Thank you to our Voters!
- Installation of solar panels
- New parking lot
- Restroom renovations
- Fire/Security improvements, inspections, and permitting
- ADA compliance accessibility upgrades
- New swing set
- New paving/resurfacing of sidewalks and outside areas
- New paint flooring
- New intercom system
- New fire alarm with voice activation
- Generator and heat pump upgrades
- HVAC upgrades
- New handwashing sinks
- New water bottle filling stations
- Gas and maintenance for student transportation
Order your yearbook
Covid-19 Vaccine Event at North Canyon High School
Maricopa County Public Health has partnered with PVSchools in order to offer free COVID-19 vaccines to the community. Pfizer vaccines will be available to individuals 5 years old and older. Moderna vaccines will be available to people 18 years or older. Booster and third doses will be available.
Limited flu shots will also be available.
No appointment is required ahead of time. Call 602-506-6767 with any questions.
Fry's Food Community Rewards
AmazonSmile is a simple way for you to support Quail Run Elementary every time you shop, at no cost to you. AmazonSmile is available at smile.amazon.com on your web browser and can be activated in the Amazon Shopping app for iOS and Android phones.
On your first visit to smile.amazon.com, you will be prompted to select a charitable organization. Select Wildfire Elementary School Parent Teacher Organization Quail Run PTA (make sure it is the one that says Phoenix, AZ. There is also a QR in CA! Every time you shop on Amazon simply start at smile.amazon.com and the school earns 0.5% of every purchase. It's that easy to make a difference! Ask your friends, family, and co-workers to participate too! As always, Thank you for your support!
United Parent Council
Have you completed your Annual Update?
Calendar of Upcoming Events
- Mar. 3: Choir Trip to North Canyon High School
- Mar. 5: Sights & Sounds of PVSchools at Shadow Mountain High School
- Mar. 5: Spring Carnival, 11:30 am - 2:30 pm
- Mar. 8: District Field Day at 9:00 am - 1:00 pm (for qualifying students)
- Mar. 10: PTA Meeting at 3:30 pm
- Mar. 10: PVSchools Governing Board Meeting at 7:00 pm
- Mar. 11: Kindergarten Hotel Saguaro Puppet Show (on-campus)
- Mar. 14 - 18: No School, PVSchools Spring Break
- Mar. 24: Spring Picture Day
- Mar. 24: PVSchools Governing Board Meeting at 7:00 pm
- Mar. 26: Choir Camp, Grades 3-6, 9:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Mar. 29: School Council Meeting at 3:30 pm
- Apr. 5: Early Release at 12:30 pm
- Apr. 5: School-wide Recycling Presentations
- Apr. 5: SkyZone Fundraiser from 1:00 pm - 7:00 pm
- Apr. 7: PTA Meeting at 3:30 pm
- Apr. 12: 2nd Grade PVCC Theater Group at 9:15 am
- Apr. 14: School Emergency Response Team (SERT) Meeting at 7:45 am
- Apr. 15: K-12 Recess, No School
- Apr. 19: School Council Meeting at 3:30 pm
- Apr. 21: PVSchools Governing Board Meeting at 7:00 pm
- Apr. 27: PTA Restaurant Fundraiser at Lou Malnati´s from 11:00 am - 10:00 pm
- Apr. 29: 2nd Grade Field Trip to the MIM
Enroll at Quail Run
If you or anyone you know needs to enroll a student for the 2021-2022 school year, please know we are still accepting enrollments.
If Quail Run Elementary School is your home school, click here to enroll for the 2021-2022 school year.
Required Documents for Enrollment
A certified copy of your child's birth certificate
Your child's immunization records
Proof of Arizona residency (e.g., utility bill, house payment, lease/purchase agreement)
IEP/504 forms (if applicable)
Please note, to register for kindergarten, your student must be 5 years old PRIOR to September 1st, 2021.
You will also be required to complete an Annual Update on Infinite Campus. Please visit the PV Assist website for links and more information.
How to Open Enroll for the 2021-2022 School Year
Open enrollment enables Arizona students to attend public schools outside their district attendance areas or outside their district of residence. It is open to all Arizona-based students.
- All open enrollment questions may be directed to email@example.com.
Important Phone Numbers
Attendance Line: 602-449-4401
Nurse Celeste: 602-449-4403
School Cafeteria: 602-449-4407