January 4 - January 8
A Note from the Principal
Dear Langston Hughes Family,
Happy New Year!
I'm not one for making resolutions, but I am a goal-setter. I believe in setting targets for my work, and developing a plan to help me achieve my goals. My goal for this part of the year is to ensure that our attendance rates increase. However, I can't do that on my own. I will need your help. You can help me achieve this goal by doing three simple things. Make sure your child:
- Documents their attendance each day, including Remote Mondays. One of the biggest dips in our attendance rate occurs on Mondays. While students may not have live sessions on Remote Mondays, they are still attending school and they are expected to submit their attendance.
- Attends all scheduled live sessions. Live sessions provide students with instruction to help them complete their assignments. It is also another way for teachers to document your child's attendance.
- Submits all assignments. Teachers measure student progress by evaluating assignments. If your child has not submitted assignments, they cannot receive a grade. Assignments are also evidence of student attendance.
This is school until everyone can return to the building. Let's make it count!
Stay safe and healthy!
PS - Our 14-day building quarantine ends on January 5. Students and staff can return to the building for in person learning on Wednesday, January 6.
Perfect Attendance: December
Jasa East Flatbush Senior Center
650 Remsen Ave, Brooklyn, NY 11236
Brooklyn Faith SDA Church
5518 Church Avenue, 11203
347 691 0293
Soup Kitchen: Fri 12pm-3pm, or until food runs out;
Food Pantry: Thu 2pm-4pm
God's Battalion Prayer Church
661 Linden Blvd., 11203
718 774 5447 x114
Food Pantry: Tue, Thu 9am-12pm
International Pentecostal City Mission Food Program
9202-14 Church Ave., 11236
516 817 7922
Food Pantry: Sat 11am-1pm. ID required, bring sturdy bag. Blood Pressure monitoring program 1st Sat of month 10am-12pm, Numerous other health services - call for info. Services and programs for: SNAP, legal assistance, eviction prevention, HEAP, SBS, job training, GED, SAT, teen programs, counseling, immigration assistance, seasonal tax prep, and adult social services.
Beyond Hunger Food Pantry/CAMBA Inc.
21 Snyder Ave, 11226
718 282 3082
Food Pantry: Tue, Thu 10am-1pm.
Please bring ID to enter the building and reusable bags after first visit or shopping a cart. We serve anyone in need of emergency food. Can visit once per month - 1st week last names A-F, 2nd week last names G-L, 3rd week last names M-S, 4th week last names T-Z. Please always call our food program before visiting us for the most updated information.
Our Lady of Refuge Pantry
2020 Foster Ave., 11210
718 434 2090
Food Pantry: Wed 10am-1pm. Bring photo ID
Bread of Life Food Pantry
781 East 93rd Street, 11236
347 955 4403 Food Pantry: Sat 1pm-3pm. ID required
Canarsie Cluster Food Pantry (Our Lady of Miracles)
757 E. 86th St., 11236
347 400 7141
Food Pantry: Sat 10am-11:30am. ID required.
Salvation Army Brownsville Corps
280 Riverdale Avenue, 11212
718 345 7050 x4026 Food Pantry: Mon-Thu 9am-12pm, 1:30pm-4pm. Fri by appointment. Photo ID, proof of address and proof of income required for registration.
Urban Strategies Inc
61-71 Riverdale Avenue, 11212
718 346 2118
Food Pantry: Tue 8am-10am.
Photo ID required. Emergency food available
Mt. Hebron Food for Life Pantry
167 Chester St., 11212
646 220 1826
Food Pantry: Sat 9am-10:30am.
Photo ID required.
St. James Holiness Church
89 Legion St, 11212
718 723 0138
Food Pantry: Thu 10am-11am.
Photo ID required
Society of St. Vincent de Paul at Saint Catherine of Genoa Church
520 Linden Boulevard, 11203
718 282 7162
Food Pantry: Thu 10:30am-1:30pm.
Dates to Remember
- January 4 - Remote Monday: Asynchronous learning; limited access to teachers
- January 5 - Remote learning: Last day of quarantine; live sessions for all students
- January 6 - Students may return to the school for in person learning
- January 18 - Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day--schools closed
- February 12 - Lunar New Year--schools closed
- February 15-February 19 - Mid-winter recess
- January 4 - Remote Monday - Asynchronous learning only; limited access to teachers
- January 5 - Remote learning for all students
- January 6-January 8 - In person instruction Wednesday through Friday
- January 11 - Remote Monday - Asynchronous learning only; limited access to teachers
- January 12-January 15 - In person instruction Tuesday through Friday