2nd Grade's January Newsletter
In Unit 1 of this module, we will focus on the following standards:
- Ask and answer questions about the text
-Point of View
-Main Purpose of a Text
- Use information gathered to write an informational paragraph
In Fundations, we are spending most of the month in Unit 5. In Unit 5, we will be introducing the following concepts:
-2 syllable words
- spelling of -ic at the end of a 2 syllable word
-suffixes -ful, -ment, -ness, -less, -able, -en, -ish
-prefixes mis, un, non, dis, and trans
-vowel teams au and aw
-trick (heart) words: against, knew, know, always, often, once
- Sample unit words: catnip, habit, tonic, mascot, hundred, freshen, boldness
- As always, we continue to focus on phonemic awareness through differentiated phonics instruction. Please encourage your second grader to read for 15 minutes for 15 nights this month; as per their January Reading Calendar. Don't forget to practice Heart Words (sight words).
Students will begin solving word problems involving dollar bills, quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies, using $ and ¢ symbols appropriately. Then, students will move onto expressing and comparing three digit numbers. Finally, we will revisit skip counting and use this skill to help with adding and subtracting.