The Storm Forecast
September 24, 2020
Dear parents and guardians,
As we get closer to the end of the first quarter, we are stepping up our efforts to help students to improve academically. As I have been revising student grades, I have noticed that the large majority of low grades are due to students not turning in their schoolwork. While we understand that the current pandemic situation is a difficult one, it is extremely important for students to keep up with their assignments and turn in their schoolwork.
Parents, please check on your student's progress routinely and make sure that all school work is turned in, and turned in on time. If you are having technology issues, please reach out to the teacher and let him/her know what is going on, don't just stay silent and not turn in work. Zeros are very difficult to recover from...but we are here to work with you and we want to help all of our students be successful.
We also need to ensure that students are in attendance for every class. Many students are not turning on their cameras, nor are they participating in the class in any way and it is difficult to verify their attendance in the class. If your student does not have the camera on, does not communicate with the teacher, does not answer (orally or via chat) when called on, and the teacher has no way of verifying that the student is in class, the student will be considered absent.
All of us at San Jose Prep want to see your students be successful in every way. Please help us accomplish this by partnering with us and reinforcing these items.
Thank you for all you do to support your students.
School hours: 8:00a.m.-2:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday
Breakfast and lunch...delivered???
If you would be interested in having your student's breakfast and lunches for the week delivered to your home, please fill out the following survey: https://forms.gle/LXiCxSTfeX1Kc2Lv5
For more information on school food services, please email email@example.com.
Is your contact information correct in our system?
If you are unsure if we have all of your current information, please email Mr. Cassells at firstname.lastname@example.org
We need to make sure we have your most current:
- phone numbers
- Any secondary contacts and their information
Important information for 6th grade parents
As a result, your student's class schedule may look differently starting on Monday. Please know that the teachers will actively be working with the students to help them adjust to their new schedules and Google Classrooms. They will also continue to update you via 6th grade class newsletters.
Welcome Mrs. Johnson!
Junior Class Google Page
Stay up to date with what is happening your Senior year. Make sure you join the /class of 2021 Google Classroom: code mf3yvzb
Class sponsor: Mrs. Pangle
Missed Senior Night? Check out the recording below!
Important reminders for parents
- When students are in class, they are required to have their cameras turned in so we can verify the student's attendance and participation in the course. If your student's computer does not have a camera, please email email@example.com to arrange for a Chromebook to check out. Also remember that we take live attendance every class period, so if the student is not in the Google Classroom during class time, they will be marked absent.
- For students who are starting show potential truancy trends, attendance intervention meetings will begin in the next two weeks. Please make sure that your student is attending all of their classes every day.
- If you have a question about something in class, the best course of action is always to reach out to the teacher first. Most issues and questions can be resolved through communication with the classroom teacher. If you need to schedule a conference, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will reach out to you to schedule a conference.
- Please make sure that your student is completing their work! Although we are on virtual instruction, we still have graded work and deadlines for assignments.
When students are back on campus, we have strict COVID guidelines in place:
- Face masks are required in order to be on campus
- All students on campus must have a COVID waiver on file
- There are daily temperature checks daily prior to entering the building and throughout the day
- Everyone is expected to maintain socially distant
SAT Boot Camp for 11th and 12th graders
On Saturday, October 3, we will be having a Boot Camp for students wanting to prepare for the SAT. This will also be at 9am and breakfast and lunch will be provided. Seating is limited to 50 students due to COVID restrictions. To sign up, students should go to: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10E-CyAKTHj4A2Cv8eNJbRP26iA90WL5Z3NNDv-PiTu0/edit?usp=sharing
School crossing coming!
This is a 1 hour commitment in the morning and a 1 hour commitment in the afternoon. Interested? Apply here: https://www.jaxsheriff.org/Careers/School-Crossing-Guard.aspx
San Jose Partners- our parent organization
Please join San Jose Partners! Memberships are $5 for the 2020-21 School Year: https://www.sanjoseprep.org/parent-organization/. We are the Parent Organization that supports our teachers, staff and students at San Jose Primary and San Jose Prep. Our organization is designed to enrich our school community. The leadership council meets monthly and discusses a wide range of topics including teacher appreciation events, fundraising, support for student activities and meeting the school's needs for volunteers. We also actively provide parent feedback to the administration. Every year, officers are elected by the SJP membership to fill key positions on our leadership council. Follow us on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/1667954689998754. Or email your questions to email@example.com for more information.
Meet the Student Services Team!
- academic questions and issues
- parent/teacher conferences and communication
- 504s & IEPs
- grad tracking and graduation status
- retention/promotion questions
- social work services
- mental health services
- attendance interventions
If you need to reach out to one of our counselors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and a member of our team will reach out to you.
Student Services Team:
Mrs. Cooley, Director of Student Services
Mrs. Bell, Academic Advisor
Ms. De La Cruz, Academic Advisor, Social Worker
Mrs. Campbell, AP, Pre-AP Coordinator & Assessments
Mrs. Hubbard, Academic interventionist
Mrs. Bender, Mental Health Counselor
Meet Mrs. Bender, our licensed mental health counselor!
Please read her introductory letter below. You may contact Mrs. Bender@ email@example.com
For instructions on how to create a parent Focus account, go to https://dcps.duvalschools.org/Page/15745
When you have completed your application for an account, email firstname.lastname@example.org in order to have your account activated.
Once you have created the account, please allow 48 hours for activation.
Having difficulties? Please contact email@example.com for assistance.
Resource for older caregivers
Relatives As Parents Program (RAPP) supports grandparents and other elder caregivers. If you are interested, please see the attached brochure or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Tuesday, Sept 29
Volleyball @ First Coast High School, 6:00pm
Wednesday, Sept 30
Volleyball @ River City Science Academy, 6:30pm
Thursday, Oct 1
Marathon High informational meeting
email email@example.com for information
Sat, Oct 3
SAT Boot Camp
San Jose Prep College Week
Monday, October 5
Volleyball @ First Coast Christian School, 6:00pm
Friday, Oct 9
End of 1st quarter
Volleyball @ Parsons Christian School, 6:00pm
Monday, Oct 12
Teacher planning day
Volleyball @ Seacoast, 6:30p.m.
Wed, Oct 14
Mega test day! PSAT (9th grade), NMSQT (select 11th grade), SAT (11th/12th grade)
Thursday, Oct 15
Volleyball close of season, @ Seacoast, 6:30p.m.