SPHS Counseling Newsletter
Countdown to College!!!
1) Daily Nuggets. In an effort to minimize the overwhelming process of applying to college, the school counseling department will be sharing "nuggets" of information each day via email, social media, and Google classroom (Join Code: vhghwne)
2) Wednesday Lunch and Learns: Each Wednesday, school counselors will be available in the cafeteria during lunch blocks to assist students with completing college applications and to answer questions.
3) College Photo Booth: Students--want to be featured on our social media pages? Stop by the photo booth in the cafeteria on Wednesdays during lunch to show us where you have applied. Every photo taken enters you into a drawing to win free college swag such as pens, bumper stickers, pennants, and more!
4) Virtual Financial Aid Night. The College Foundation of North Carolina (CFNC) will be hosting a virtual financial aid night for South Point students and parents on Wednesday, October 20 at 6:30. Click the link below to join: https://cfnc-org.zoom.us/j/82114555775?pwd=QW9lRDUyOGxZekNqMHc1RUZhV3Z1dz09
5) College Application Week. During College Application Week, many colleges and universities across the state of North Carolina will be waiving their application fee. Please see below for a list of participating schools.
6) Wear Your College T-Shirt Day. To kick off College Application Week, staff and students are invited to wear a college t-shirt of their choice on Monday, October 18th.
7) NACAC Virtual College Fair. The National Association for College Admission Counseling (NACAC) will be hosting multiple virtual college fairs during the month of October. For more information, see the flyer below or visit https://virtualcollegefairs.org/
8) CACRAO Virtual College Fair: Registration is now live for the 2021 CACRAO Virtual College Fair on Monday, October 11 and Tuesday, October 12 from 5:00-7:45 pm. To register, visit https://www.cacrao.org/programs/2021-virtual
9) CFNC Live Events for Students and Parents: Join CFNC for a month of live virtual events covering three important steps in the college application process--residency, FAFSA, and applications. For a calendar of events, please visit the link below:
Applying for scholarships just got easier with Going Merry! Marketed as the "Common App for Scholarships", Going Merry allows students to create a one-time student profile, find scholarships they are eligible for based on their student profile, and apply for multiple scholarships at once--all from the same website! The best part is that Going Merry is completely free for students. Start applying today at http://goingmerry.com and check out the ABC news feature below.
Additional scholarship information can be found at http://www.fastweb.com, http://www.cfnc.org , and https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/
***Check out the newsletter below for a list of fall scholarships, including those that require a school nomination. ***
PSAT October 13th
FAFSA goes live October 1st!
The FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Financial Aid) goes live on October 1st!
It doesn't matter how you say it, as long as you fill it out! Get started at https://fafsa.ed.gov/