Tech Tips & Tricks from Shantel - Vol. 2
September 19, 2018
Requirements: Bring your laptop & a team lesson plan!!
Dyknow & Classroom Management - TBA
Please refer to the DyKnow Cloud Introduction Handout if you are a new teacher or just need a refresher. You can also check out the brief videos for assistance.
Repair Center Tips
Google Assignments Denied
- If students can not see you google doc, slides, etc it could be that their Google Drive is not connected. Have students check "resources" under "apps" and then Google Drive and "connect".
Student Password Resets
- If your students need a network or Google password reset, please send them down to the Repair Center with their Chromebook (and case) at your convenience. Keep in mind that network passwords are tied to Schoology, Skyward, and the Student Work Order System so students will use their new network password to access each listed account (except Google).
- Teachers, please have students log-in to Schoology from Student Net page. Students cannot just google Schoology and log-in, it won’t work properly. So if they complain about not being able to log-in please check that they are logging with the Student Net page first. (The link can be found on the left-hand side in the navigation bar on the Student Net Page.)
Work Order Form
Teachers, please have student complete a Work Order form, BEFORE you send them to the repair center. The Repair Center knows this is different from last year. The Work Order form can be found on the Student Net page as well. Thanks!
Working at Starbucks - Wifi
TCCA is a FREE Technology Conference. Please consider attending. This conference will be held on Saturday, Oct. 20th. This is an AMAZING conference and will count for Exchange Day Credit. Visit their site and register for the conference. Lunch is provided by Freebirds and you can stay for part of the day or the whole day, but AWESOME prizes are given at the end!
Our very own Tammy Crannie is presenting!! Woot! Woot!
Secure Assessments With Schoology
Prior to this year, Schoology didn’t have a password feature for assessments, so we last year we used a feature of Respondus that was really just a work around--and it was a bit quirky. We still recommend using Respondus for locking down your test, but you should not use it to set the student password—use the new Schoology feature instead.
This is a feature of the Assessment tool--Not the Test/Quiz tool. You can convert Tests/Quizzes in Resources to Assessments using these instructions and considerations.
This year, Schoology has a feature that allows teachers to enable a password requirement for students to enter before beginning a test. Schoology now makes it easier to set passwords and access for your different class periods. Here is a guide that will explain how to secure assessments with Schoology as well as how to provide Oral Accommodations for students.
Eduphoria Online Testing
Click HERE for assistance with creating and enabling online tests through Eduphoria Aware.
New Eduphoria Testing Look
YouTube Video Access for Students
YouTube videos are blocked to student access on school-issued devices. In order for your students to view YouTube videos on their Chromebooks, teachers must select one of two options listed below:
- Teachers can submit a HelpDesk ticket with the video name and individual videos can be whitelisted (short-term solution if needed ASAP due to the change)
- Create a YouTube channel and turn in a ticket to have the YouTube channel whitelisted. This will allow any videos posted to the channel to be whitelisted and you won’t have to individually whitelist videos. Ideally, this option works best if you created one channel for your content area and multiple teachers have the ability to add videos.
Schoology Parent Access Coming Soon
With a Schoology Parent Account, parents will have access to:
The classes in which their child is enrolled
Their child's upcoming assignments
School and class announcements
More information coming from the Digital Learning Department soon!
Personalize your Course Banner in Schoology
Did you read Alysa Cozart's recent article about personalizing your Schoology course in The Exchange? If not, take a moment to read it below. Keep in mind that parents will soon be able to access your Schoology courses through Parent Access starting Friday, September 28. If you haven't changed your course banner yet... don't delay, do it today!
Your course pic in Schoology is the first thing your students will see when clicking on Courses. Whether you have your classes linked altogether or you have your class periods separate, it’s a good idea to personalize your course to welcome students into their blended learning classroom. Plus, it also helps students navigate to the right course!
Here is a template created by Klein Cain’s Caitlyn Cloyd. You can customize your course banner images and make them your own. CLICK HERE to use as a template.
When you are ready to save the images, click on the first slide, go to File > Download As > JPEG Image. Then save it in a folder on your computer (preferably create a folder named Schoology Banners) and name it 1st banner. Repeat these steps for each slide – click on the second slide, file, download, save, name 2nd banner. See the GIF for illustrated directions for saving banner images.
Next, go into each course, hover over the course image, click Edit Picture, and select the appropriate image that you saved.
Skyward Teacher Quick Access Widget
Klein ISD Digital Resources
Check out these locations early and often! You'll be amazed at the wealth of information provided here at your fingertips!