News You Can Use
Messages from Erin
Welcome to Spring!
I know the busy weeks will continue but we want to take this week to celebrate you all and the hard work you do during Teacher Appreciation Week!!! We have some fun planned for you each day this week.
Monday - It will be our PLEASURE to serve you! Please join us for CFA breakfast biscuits and juice and coffee in the cafe in the AM.
Tuesday - Jeans day (spirit wear optional :)!!). Plenty of caffeine will be available in the mailroom all day. Help yourselves to chocolate, Coke, Diet Coke, etc. Water will also be available for those of you that are naturally caffeinated.
Wednesday - Ya'll are so sweet! Please stop by the future computer lab for some sweet treats!
Thursday - Duty Free Lunch for everyone and a special lunch will be set up in the future computer lab. Think "Welcome to Harris"! ;)
Friday - You guys are on point and we APPRECIATE you. Special gifts will be delivered to your rooms in the morning.
A couple notes from PTA:
* The class that sells the most bricks for the 50th Anniversary celebration will win a class party at Sky Zone.
* We are ready to begin recycling paper, plastic, and cans. A special thank you to Ms. Fausti's class for helping us get this program started.
* Please click here to enter a contest for Harris to win a healthy playground makeover http://www.togethercounts.com/at-school/win-for-your-school/sweepstakes
When you see our fabulous PTA, please thank them for all they do around the school! They were here Saturday for another campus beautification day. They take great care of us!!!
I know that many of you are eager to know about next year's teaching assignments. I really appreciate your patience as I work through this process. This is new to me and I am working to get it right, but even then I know there will be changes :)! You know that we have lost some points as a result of the redistricting. As a result I am working to balance grade level teams and specials with minimal movement of teachers. I will have conversations about next year's teaching assignments with the A-team and staff involved in any movement this week. I have had conversations already with Dr. McCain, my mentor, and my HR director. The preference forms were very helpful in this process, and my top priorities are to keep you where you want to be and to minimize movement. Again, thank you for your patience. Please see me if you have any questions.
Summer Staff Development:
* The Math Institute is coming to Berkeley Lake Elementary this summer: June 6 - 9. This is a great learning opportunity and a chance to practice your math craft of “reasoning with fractions”. There will be a $300 stipend for participants. Please let me know if you are interested in participating.
* The Teaching and Learning Conference is scheduled for June 16th - 18th at the ISC. If you are interested in attending, please let me know.
* If you and your team would like to come in for a couple days over the summer to review data and analyze standards, please let me know. I will be reviewing budgets with Debbie this week and believe that we have the funds to pay for two days of planning per grade level. This would be a great jump-start to the new year!
* The lessons on the LOCC will be revamped and next year a county focus will be to implement Units of Study by Lucy Calkins. There will be PD sessions for each grade level this summer. Please let Emily Broich or myself know if you would like to attend. There is not currently a stipend, but stay tuned. Our goal is to send one teacher per grade level.
Highlights of the week:
* International Night was a huge success!!! A big thank you to all of you that supported this night. Parents were happy, students were precious, and a good time was had by all! An extra big shout out to Claudia, Jessy, and Donna for organizing this event!
* Thank you for your engagement during the all day planning sessions. You are making good use of your time and the feedback has been that this time has been valuable. We appreciate your hard work.
Thank you, thank you, thank you for what you do everyday. Please know that the A-team appreciates you this week and every week for the work that you do.