The SPIRIT of SKS
Saint Kateri School's Newsletter - October 6, 2021
Hello SKS families ~
A reminder to all families that the process of preparing for and receiving sacraments should be done at each child’s parish. If your child is in second grade, please make sure to contact your parish to begin Reconciliation and First Holy Communion preparation. Saint Kateri Parish has already begun Reconciliation prep but it is not too late. Please contact Danielle Moore, our Faith Formation Coordinator, at 585-338-1146 X 3404 or Danielle.Moore@dor.org if you have any questions or want more information.
This year, our students will be allowed to wear a costume on Friday, October 29th in celebration of Halloween. If you would like your child to wear a Halloween costume, please review the costume guidelines sheet that is being sent home with students today.
Please take a moment to view the 2021-2022 school year presentation below in the newsletter ~ we are off to a great start to the year! Each of the icons located on the white board will bring you to the Encore Teachers presentation ~
- Unicorn: Mrs. Connor
- Paint Palette: Ms. Polashenski
- Musical Note: Mrs. Dinsmore
- Soccer Ball: Mr. Carney
- ABC Clipboard: Academic Intervention Services (AIS)
Thank you for all you for our school and have a very safe and blessed week!
Peace and Light!
Mrs. Terri L. Morgan, Principal
Phone: (585) 467-8730
From the Main Office:
- EXTENDED CARE: Remember to sign in and out each day, with a signature and time. We use these sheets for billing and/or attendance questions that come up.
- EXTENDED CARE: We continue to monitor all individuals in our building to follow COVID protocols. Please sign out your child at the sign-in/sign-out station by the door and wait for an Extended Care Assistant to get your child. We are discouraging families from coming in and out of the Extended Care rooms. Thank you for your cooperation.
We are extending the due date for Save Around books to be returned to school to Tuesday, October 12th. This is typically a good fundraiser to kick off the school year but this year the sales have been slow. Please share the information with your families and friends ~ so much of it can be done online. Also, purchasing can be done location specific ~ so if you have Aunts and Uncles in Texas ~ there is Save Around access for that!
It is the beginning of the cold and flu season and we are seeing many students coming down with colds. The symptoms of the common cold share many of the same symptoms as the COVID-19 virus and it is hard to distinguish between the two. It is for that reason the Monroe County Health Department recommends schools to have any child with these symptoms see a medical care professional. It is up to the medical care professional to diagnose illness and provide care ~ oftentimes this requires a COVID test.
What we require to return to school is a release letter from the medical care provider and the paperwork from a COVID test, if one was required. New York State is requiring schools to provide complete a Daily Health Survey, asking how many students and staff, how many tests students and staff have have and this year they want to know what kind of test was given ~ either an antigen or a PCR test. We are seeing that most pediatricians are giving only the PCR test, rather than the antigen test.
Thank you for your continued patience and understanding ~ especially when you get the news about the steps to return to school.
COVID-19 symptoms are:
- fever or chills
- shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- muscle or body aches
- new loss of taste or smell
- congestion or runny nose
- nausea or vomiting
Students Out During Quarantine:
This year we are not providing synchronous online learning for students not in school due to illness or quarantine. This only means that your child will not be on a Live Zoom meeting while they are out of school. Teachers are working to get Google Classroom and SeeSaw set up for our students to make it easier for students and parents to access learning while at home. We are in the process of hiring a new Technology Teacher to help us support this and hope to be able to announce that soon.
You can always make arrangements with your child's teacher to pick up school work ~ just like in the olden days before COVID :D
Upcoming Calendar Dates:
- 10/6: 1st Parent's Association Meeting - in person 6:00-7:30pm
- 10/8: NO SCHOOL ~ Superintendent's Conference Day
- 10/11: NO SCHOOL
- 10/13: November Hot Lunch opens
- 10/13-10/14: School Pictures (Teachers will let you know your scheduled day)
- 10/12: Morning Prayer Service 8:45am
- 10/19: Quiet Mass 5th/2nd
- 10/20: November Hot Lunch closes at 9:30am
- 10/21: Bishop Mass 9:00am Christ the King Church 4th and 5th Grade will lead
- 10/26: Quiet Mass 4th/1st
- 11/1: All Saints Day School Mass (grade 3)
- 11/2: No Quiet Mass
- 11/3: School Picture Re-Take Day
- 11/3: Parent's Association Meeting (Virtual)
- 11/9: Quiet Mass (3rd/K)
- 11/10: Veteran's Day Prayer Service at 9:00am
- 11/10: Half Day Dismissal (Preschool - grade 5)
- 11/11: No School - Veteran's Day
UPDATED Parent's Association Meeting information
PARENT’S ASSOCIATION 2021-2022
Our first meeting of the school year is TONIGHT!
Thank you to all the Room Parents, that also agreed to be Parent Association liaisons! We are excited to welcome you and any SKS family member to attend this evening from 6:00pm - 7:30pm. We will have Fall refreshments available too!
If you are unable to attend in person, you can join us virtually using the Parent's Association Zoom link below:
Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 860 8522 8244
Below you will find our meeting dates for this school year:
October 6 In person
November 3 Virtual
December 1 In person
January 12 Virtual
February 2 In person
March 9 Virtual
April 6 In person
May 4 Virtual
June 1 In person
Nicole Guido (Jax, 2nd grade)
Katie Stam (Molly, 2nd grade and Lucy, PK4)