FVES Family Newsletter, September 4, 2020
What We Need to Share...Straight From the Heart!
- Kids need their materials with them at all times (in a backpack or milk crate) beside their work area.
- Practice with your child to stay on mute until asked to unmute. Students can do this independently K-5 if practiced!
- Please help keep the distractions away while they are online. Learning is better when TVs are off, headphones on, the less movement and noise in the background the better!
- Please encourage your child to work from a desk, table, or area that promotes attention and an upright position. Laying in bed learning is very difficult!
- Make sure the adult or sibling with the learner knows that our schedule is all day- just like when school is physically in the building.
- Help set up your child to be online ON TIME. Being on time sets the tone for the day.
- Remember, teachers and other families can hear voices and noises from your computer, even when you may be having technical difficulties.
- Refrain from coaching your child from the sidelines. We need to be able to get a clear picture of their learning and participation without the extra elbow and voice assistance.
- Contact the county first with technical issues, the teacher is not able to stop all instruction to troubleshoot right then. (https://www.wcpss.net/techguides)
- Please talk with your daycare provider about the daily schedule for your child. We have seen children upset when they have to leave for an unscheduled break, we have seen kids need to stretch and wiggle and are not permitted to do so, we have have built in screen breaks and students are not being allowed to break. We are more than willing to assist with the communication, however, it means more coming from parents. Kids need time to move, stretch and wiggle. We do this each day to help student brains work their best!
- Don't forget to read school/teacher communication. We have announcements in Google Classroom to be helpful to you and your child as well as other means to communicate.
- Live teaching all morning means your child needs to be present. Children that pop on and off (not due to connectivity) are not receiving quality instruction and the instruction can not be recorded to watch later.
- Please use the office hour your teachers provided to have your student ask questions during this time.
- Our teachers are working early in the morning and planning into the evening. They are teaching all morning and have small groups in the afternoon. Please be patient with them as they can not respond super quickly to emails and phone calls. They are also not technical support gurus. They are trying to help in any way they can but also must use their time wisely for planning instruction.
- Our new school year is NOT like the spring of 2020 at all. All learning can be new learning and is not optional.
A quiet, prepared learning area helps us most! We see how hard everyone is trying and want to thank and encourage you to keep it going and help us make it even better with the bullets above!
The FVES School Family
Keep Up to Date With the Returning to School Website
Calling All Families!
We will post these videos in our Google Classrooms only for student & FVES Family viewing and will not be posting the social media sites.
Please join our PTA meeting on ZOOM, September 22nd @7:00 PM!
Meeting ID: 799 3920 0516
Positions and Help Needed
We still need a Treasurer ASAP, plus a membership chair, and a spirit wear chair if possible. We can also use all of the volunteers we can get! Please volunteer with your interests by clicking on this link !
Spirit Wear and Membership Payments
Get your FVES T-shirts for $12 and mask lanyards for sale for $5. Click here on our memberhub to order spirit items and/or pay for your PTA membership!
Resources to Support Instruction
- Log into Istation (English)
- Log into Istation (Spanish)
- Istation at Home Guidance (English)
- Istation at Home Guidance (Spanish)
Reading: Click here for a video and helpful vocabulary related to the area of reading.
September 22nd- PTA Meeting via ZOOM @7:00 PM