RW Instructional Plan
Updated April 17, 2020
The purpose of this communication is to provide you with the basic information on how to access the variety of methods and programs specifically at RW, so below you will find different sections to address many of your concerns. I ask for your patience as we work to provide the best opportunities we can as we all learn together.
While we are not in the office, our secretaries are able to problem solve with you when you call the main number and certainly help address concerns. Please feel free to reach out with questions after reading this correspondence.
I continue to preach that living in the moment, positivity, and getting outside are extremely important for our students' well-being, so keep that in mind as we embark on this virtual learning experience as well!
We are in this together and can support each other! #OtherPeopleMatter #lightningleaders
RW Supporting Emotional Needs
Mrs. Cheryl Price; firstname.lastname@example.org; (Ext. 3307)
Mrs. Michele Tibbitt; email@example.com (Ext. 3308)
Google Classroom Code: n6f3ucn
Mrs. Sarah Prendergast; firstname.lastname@example.org (Ext. 4336)
RW Instructional Plan and Schedule
You should have received a detailed letter from Mrs. Bradford, the LCS curriculum director, for how students in grades 6-12 will proceed in their education for the remainder of the year. In summary:
- All teachers will have a Google Classroom that can be accessed online. (teacher’s class codes)
- All teachers will post a new activity/lesson/assignment on their Google Classroom every Monday and Thursday, starting on Tuesday April 14th. If the Monday is a school holiday, lessons will be posted the following day.
- All teachers will have a virtual, face-to-face interaction once a week on Zoom or Google Hangouts. Access to these interactions will be sent to your student through their Google Classroom Account.
RW - Virtual Face-to-Face Schedule
If your specific class is not listed please contact your teacher!
Parents and students should establish routines to ensure the greatest likelihood of students succeeding in this new delivery system.
Support During the Closure
All Lapeer Community Schools employees are continuing to work during the shutdown. This includes administrators, teachers, support staff, and paraprofessionals. The first place to go for any questions about specific classes would be your student’s teacher. As a general rule, teacher email addresses are their first initial + last name @ lapeerschools.org (example Wyatt Stevens is email@example.com)
Please know, as we continue to work to meet the educational needs of our students, additional information will be provided through school messenger, RW Facebook and webpage as well as emailed directly to your student’s school email account.
For additional support with any questions you may have, please contact the main office number at (810) 538-2334 for more assistance. We will be working from the school on a limited basis and will also be checking voice mails from home.
If students are joining a class they can go to their @students email and simply click the link OR on this RW Google Classroom Doc one can find the code for each classroom and join!
The video below is an excellent resource.
RW Technology Assistance
- Utilize a cell phone to access the virtual face-to-face sessions. While completing the assignments on a cellular device may be somewhat prohibitive, connecting with Zoom or Google Hangouts can easily be accomplished.
- If you have some technology such as a laptop but no wireless, the schools are working to amplify our services and many local businesses (any running Spectrum), churches, fast food chains, and library have free wifi in the parking lots (see list). Both Spectrum and Comcast are offering free wifi to students in certain areas. The school buildings and Lapeer District Libraries in the areas below have extended wifi access to their parking lots:
· Mayfield Elementary
· CFI (loop)
· Turrill Elementary
· Otter Lake
· LDL Administration Building
- If you have wifi but no laptop, LCS can help. We are planning a distribution of chromebooks to families in need, however, we are limited to providing one per family with our limited number of chromebooks. Please contact our Dean of Students, Kent Meister at (810) 538-2334 Ext 3346 or firstname.lastname@example.org and he will have specifics for distribution.
- Ultimately if none of the above circumstances will assist in participating in a virtual format our teachers will be providing printed materials similar in content to the virtual offerings. Please contact a teacher, our secretary, or dean! We will provided Printed Packets! (see below)
Please return the work when finished in the same envelope to the tote labeled "Finished." Ensure your child's name and teacher is on the work so it can make it to the correct teacher
Kami Chrome Extension
The below videos explain how to utilize both systems.
Pearson Connexus Online Courses - Currently Enrolled Virtual Students ONLY
The nature of online courses results in students being required to complete them in the same time frame had the closure not occurred. Mentors for these classes will maintain contact weekly through, phone calls or email regarding student progress. At this point, all tests and quizzes prior to the final exam have been unlocked so that students can work through the course. If there is an issue in completing these courses without access to school devices and internet, students need to contact their mentor teacher.
Grading - Online Virtual Courses
XELLO - Career Readiness for 6th and 7th Graders!
My own 8th grader has used the system and by going through this process has changed her mind on a future career (and now looking at out of state colleges...not sure if I'm ready for that)! Now is a great time to research colleges, careers, etc.
RW Essentials Pick-Up Plan
Band Trip to Mackinac
As this comes to fruition Mrs. Fenner or I will certainly communicate the plan.
Washington DC Achatz Pie Fundraiser
Once the yearbooks come in (traditionally just prior to June), we will develop a plan for parents to pick up.