The Good News - May 7, 2023
St. John XXIII Catholic School
Fifth Sunday of Easter
May - The Month of Mary
During the month of May we focus on both Mary and her role in our church as well as use this month to pray to her. Her prayer, The Hail Mary, leads us to direct our focus on the spiritual tool for meditation that is the rosary.
If you are interested in learning more about how to pray the rosary, please explore this How to Pray the Rosary infographic. The free app Laudate is a simple, yet spectacular, resource you may wish to explore.
Whether you pray the rosary or simply pray from your heart, God hears all prayers.
Monday, May 8
- Faith Assembly 9am
- SAB Peer Mentors Visit
Tuesday, May 9
- Father Tomasz visits
- Spring Indiv. & Class Photos
- Spring Indiv. & Class Photos for KMW only
- Hot Lunch
Thursday, May 11
- Gr 4 going to St. JPII
Friday, May 12
- Running Club, Gr 3 & 4
- Gr 2 Edmonton Symphony
- Plant sale pick up: 1-2pm & 6-7pm
- SAB Peer Mentors Visit
May 15 - 19 - Catholic Education Week, PSC Meeting 7pm,
May 16 - Gr 1 TPet
May 18 - Wear Blue and Walk Together for Catholic Education, SAB Peer Mentors Visit
May 19 & 22 - No School
May 23 - Fitset Ninja
May 25 - Hot Lunch, Volunteer Appreciation event
May 27 - Fish Release Event
Don't forget to order your 2022-2023 School Yearbook
You will be able to order and receive your yearbook before the end of this school year!
The order form is now live and closes May 15th at 11:59PM.
Please access the form through your online PowerSchool Parent Portal account.
For instructions on how to complete your purchase, please refer to the link found at the bottom of every newsletter.
Spring Plant Fundraiser - Pick up is this week!!
Pick up is this Friday, May 12th from 1 - 2pm and 6 - 8pm
from the St John XXIII Gymnasium
Please ensure that your plants are picked up so that they have the best chance to stay hydrated and healthy!
We are so grateful for our community of support. Thank you!
St. John XXIII Catholic School Council
Submitting Student Absences
Inclusive Learning Connections
- Learn how your child approaches new things. Does your child love new experiences and participate right away? Or does he/she need to watch and listen first and is more careful with new experiences?
- Recognize your child’s learning style. Is your child more hands on or do they learn best by looking and listening?
- How does your child react to change? Be prepared and help them prepare for changes. Is your child flexible or do they become upset with change?
- A child’s activity level can affect their preferences. Does your child prefer quiet activities or more active settings?
- Celebrate your child when they advocate and share their needs and what works best for them. We are all different and learn differently, no two brains are the same!
- Has your little one established a dominant hand?
- Do lots of 2 handed activities: have them help in the kitchen to open open containers (Ziploc bags, containers or jars), help with washing dishes or mixing. In the bathroom have them open the toothpaste tube and play scoop and pouring games in the tub. Play puzzles and games or colour on tummies on the floor.
Play ‘Simon Says’ to practice following directions with more than one step
Example of 1-step direction: Simon says, clap your hands
Example of 2-step direction: Simon Says, touch your nose and turn around
Example of 3-step direction: Simon Says, stand up, spin around, and jump
Growing Brains & Sharing Smiles! It's a GREAT Day to be a St. John Kid!
May the Fourth Be With You
Crazy Hair/Hats on for Mental Health Day
Our Library/Learning Commons
JPII Peer Mentors
Grade 4 Teachers Pet
Community Events and Bulletins
Nature Kindergarten - Registration Form is Now Open - LIMITED SPACES AVAILABLE
For more information about this exciting program, visit the EICS Nature Kindergarten link.
To register in the Nature Kindergarten program at St. John XXIII, please follow the registration link, complete the Kindergarten registration form and then complete the Nature Kindergarten form. This program is offered on a first come, first served basis.
- Age requirement is 5 years old by December 31, 2023
- Nature Kindergarten will run Tuesdays, Thursdays and scheduled Fridays for the 2023-2024 school year.
- Fees: $425 per month
If you would like more information or have questions, please call the school at 780-998-7777.
2023-2024 Registration Information
Kindergarten and NEW student registration is now open. The registration form allows parents to choose Kindergarten scheduling preferences. Please note these will be number dependent. Please register early as class placements will take into account: class sizes, student's needs, and scheduling requests.
- To go to the St. John XXIII Kindergarten webpage - please click here. This includes information about Nature Kindergarten, a Kindergarten calculator, programming and transportation information.
- Pre Kindergarten at St. John, screening information click here
- EICS Flexible Pathways Program here
- St. John XXIII Pathways Program click here
- EICS NEW Student Registration-click here
- To request transportation, click here
In addition to attending Kindergarten at their community school, EICS offers a supplemental Nature Kindergarten program which operates Tuesday/Thursday and some Fridays. This paid program offers students the opportunity to learn through explorative play, providing an option to attend kindergarten full time.
*Please note, you only need to register your child if they are entering Kindergarten or are brand new to St. John*
OLA Parish News:
Our Lady of Victory Camp
To order, click the link above to create an account, order, and pay. Ordering will remain open until 48 hours before each hot lunch date. Lunches for students that are absent will be donated unless you make school arrangements for pickup by 9 am