5th Grade News
Reading, Writing, and Social Studies
In Reading this week, we will continue to work on reading and understanding fiction. We will review writing summaries. We will practice writing summaries of literary non-fiction, as well. In Writing, we will share our name papers. We will work on editing to combine and rearrange information so it can make the most sense. We will, also, begin writing a biography.
In Social Studies, we will begin to learn about colonization in America, including influential colonial leaders and information about the 13 original colonies.
The week's homework (attached below) is due Friday, September 30th.
Literature Circle Pages
Please look below to see what pages your child needs to have read by FRIDAY below:
Sign of the Beaver - Ch. 1-8
Island of the Blue Dolphins - Ch. 1-8
How to Steal A Dog - Ch. 1-6
Escape Under the Forever Sky - Ch. 1-6
Math and Science
In Math, we will be reviewing 2 x 3 digit multiplication and the division of 4 digit dividends by 2 digit divisors while using different strategies and standard algorithms. This review will be done through stations with each station working on specific concepts. Math homework is attached below. It will be due Friday, September 30th.
In Science, we will be testing our boats from our Matter Unit. With their new understanding of density, buoyancy, mass, and volume, they will be competing to create a boat that will hold the most cargo. We will also begin our next unit: Mixtures and Solutions / Physical and Chemical changes. Be on the lookout for a study guide that will be coming home! Our first District Assessment is tentatively set for Tuesday, October 11th.
Math and Science Homework
Mark Your Calendars!
- Monday, September 26th – Picture Day; Fundraiser Ends; Creed Lunch @ 11:00a.
- Tuesday, September 27th – Yearbook picture contest begins; Kidz Science begins 3-4PM in the Science La
- Thursday, September 29: Bear Buddy Kickoff 7:30AM in the Learning Commons
- Friday, September 30th – 1st payment due ($88 is the half amount or pay in full for $175); Watch Dog Registration Ends; STUCO Meeting 7:30-8:00AM, 5th grade camp paperwork due
- Monday, October 3rd – Camp paperwork DUE
Tuesday, October 4: KidzScience 3-4PM
Wednesday, October 5: National Walk to School Day
- Friday, October 7th - STUCO Carter Blood Drive at Bennett Elementary from 8:00a-4:00p
- Thursday, October 27th - Fundraiser delivered
- Monday, October 31st – 2nd payment due ($87)
- Thursday, November 10th – Chaperone Meeting (time TBA)
- November 16-18th – Camp Allaso Ranch
Dress Up Days for the 2016-2017 School Year
Bennett 5th Grade
Shannon Dusek - email@example.com
Beth Higgins - firstname.lastname@example.org
Natalie White - email@example.com