CSA Lincoln Newsletter
Friday, May 12th
Principal's Notes and Highlights
- This week's background photo has double meaning. We did participate in Bike to School Day on Wednesday (more on this in a minute), but we should also pause and appreciate who made that journey possible, moms! Yes, I'm fully aware that it takes two, but I am also smart enough to recognize the incredible impact mothers have on our children. My mother never missed a swim meet and I started when I was ten and swam all four years of college. Now as a parent, the few times I have had to be on "duty" has opened my eyes to all that goes on behind the scenes. Even when I've been left to fend for myself :), Michelle has saved me by having his clothes picked out and meals planned. Some of you already know, but Michelle and I are looking forward to welcoming our second child in late September. I was gone Tuesday morning as she had a doctor's appointment. This will be an extra special Mother's Day as we are sharing the gender with our family. We will be sharing with our Husky family next week. I hope you all get a chance to celebrate moms this weekend!
- We had a very special moment during Town Hall Meeting this morning. Sophia Wills' dad was injured in a car accident last week. I was able to connect with Sophia's mom about how we could help. She suggested we find a way to thank the first responders. This morning members of the Harrison Township Fire Department, Bartholomew County Sheriff Department, and the Columbus Police Officer who was first on the scene, Kelly Holley, were in attendance. Sophia had an opportunity to read a thank you letter to them and her siblings were also able to share thank you letters. The first responders then spent time with students in Mrs. Robert's class. We truly appreciate those who go above and beyond to make our community a better place and we were grateful to have this opportunity to say thank you.
- For the second week in a row a CSA Lincoln teacher was recognized for their outstanding performance. Mr. Stephen Shipley was the recipient of the Ross Wallace Award which is named after a former BCSC educator who was known for his innovative thinking in the classroom. In addition to a plaque he also received a $500 check from the Bartholomew Consolidated School Foundation. Congratulations! Photo included.
- You continue to set records. Last year we had 65 participants in Bike to School Day. This year you set a new record with 101 participants in Bike to School Day! For the smallest school and having a student population that draws from all over the county, this is an incredible number. Thank you to Laura Garrett, Melissa Begley, and the Columbus Police Department for organizing the event and making sure our students were safe on the trip to school. This is one of my favorite days of the year and I think adding the loop around Mill Race Park was a big hit! Thank you for making this experience great! Photos from the event are linked below.
- Fourth grade students completed their Famous Hoosiers Project this past Thursday with a wax museum held at The Commons. I've included a photo of each presenter. Great job students!
- Kindergarten traveled to Mill Race Park to search for insects as part of their Insect Stars Project!
- First Grade traveled to Henry Breeding Farm for Spring on the Farm today. Photos are included.
- Third Grade students took downtown architectural tours this week.
- Sixth Grade held their Medieval Fair this past Tuesday. Photos are included.
- iREAD letters are headed home with third grade students today. Once again, CSA Lincoln students performed very well with top scores!
Have a great Mother's Day weekend!
Thank You First Responders!
Looking Ahead- Put these dates on your calendar!
- May 12th- Literacy Festival (see flyer)
- May 17-18th 6th Grade Chicago Trip
- May 25th- Kindergarten Promotion- 1 pm
- May 29th- "Move Up" Day (More details to come next Friday)
- May 29th- 6th Grade Promotion- 10 a.m.
- May 29th- CSA Graduation Walk (HS students)- 11 a.m.
- May 30th- Last Student Day @ Donner Park- We will need volunteers!
Husky Gram Winners
SchoolKidz Supply Kit Program
Great News! This year we will be offering the SchoolKidz Supply Kit Program.
SchoolKidz offers prepackaged, school supply kits filled with the exact supplies requested by your child’s teacher. Kits are offered per grade level and arrive personally with the student’s school, name, and grade before Open House night, so you are ready for next year. You can order via the order form coming home this week or order online at: www.shopttkits.com and school acct #30658. Skip the lines this summer. Order your supplies with SchoolKidz! Send questions to CSA Lincoln PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Calling All Artists!
Hello CSA Lincoln Families!
We are currently looking for local artists to participate in this year’s Art Show! We would love to find several artists with a wide range of artistic talents to perform “live demonstrations” during our Art Show in May.
If you have a relative, neighbor, friend, etc. who has an artistic skill that they would like to share with our students, please have them email Mrs. Blackerby at email@example.com.
Come one Come All - see wonderful works of art on display from your very own budding artist! Mrs. Blackerby's AMAZING All School Art Show is next week and we could still use some help! If you can fill a half-hour spot, here's the link to the Google sign up sheet:
PTO will have a free-will donation snack stand open during the Art Show (can you really appreciate the art without a snack?). Free-will donation means we'll take payment in dollars, coins, Box Tops, or My Coke Rewards Codes! And speaking of...
My Coke Rewards Codes
Any of you helping the school by donating your My Coke Rewards Codes online, now- May 18th all codes entered = double donation!
PTO Meeting and a Fond Farewell
Our final PTO Meeting of the 2017-2018 school year will be on Thursday, May 24th from 6:00-7:00 in the CSA Lincoln Library. This will also mark the final PTO Meeting for two of our wonderful officers who have done an incredible job serving the staff and students of CSA Lincoln: Tracy Kiser, President 2014-2018 and Lanette Hobbs, Treasurer 2014-2018. We can't thank these ladies enough for their hard work and dedication to our school and wish them all the best as they move on to middle school!
From the School Counselor's Desk- Attendance
We would like to remind you the importance of being present at school every day. BCSC has a goal of 98% attendance for all students. At CSA Lincoln we are making an effort to succeed in achieving this goal.
Letters have been sent out in the last couple of months to students with attendance concerns.
To help your child keep a good attendance record, we are asking you to contact the school every time a child is going to be absent and provide doctor’s notes when applicable.
If you have any concerns or questions please contact Mrs. Thompson, our school counselor at firstname.lastname@example.org or 812-376-4447.
For more information on attendance you can check page 06 of our student handbook available on the following link. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_FhiFWQmV-1Q2tWUFczaW4tV3c/view
CSA Lincoln on Instagram/Facebook/Twitter
Facebook: CSA Lincoln Community
Click here for directions on how to receive text message updates from Mr. Findley