Voigt Hall Staff Updates
May 2016 - Welcome!
Welcome to Voigt Hall!
As I said in my e-mail earlier this year, my name is Laura Birckhead and I am going to be your supervisor. I am so excited for our upcoming year together! I apologize for not being able to get together before the school year is over, but I will make sure you get all the necessary information needed to help you succeed in your role!
Each month of the summer I will send you an update newsletter with important information regarding the RA position. By June 1st- I ask that you send me the following items to include in the June newsletter:
- Fun Fact
- How many years you have been an RA
- Why you chose to be an RA
- Phone number (this is for Laura only- I am going to make a GroupMe)
Additionally, if you could send me a picture of you that represents your personality, I will attach it to your bio.
Below, I have outlined some important dates for you to remember and some things you could be doing over the summer, although it is not required.
Things to Do!
Note: These items are not required for you to complete during the summer, but if you wanted to get ahead start before training, below is some information!
Create Door Decs
- These are name tags for each resident on your floor. You can always make the base of the tag and add resident names later on.
- I would make enough for your residents (max 25), all of the other staff members (7 total including myself) and our custodial staff (2)
- If you need some inspiration, check out this Pinterest board!
"Welcome to OU/Athens" & "Meet Your RA" Bulletin Board Materials
- Before residents arrive, you will create two bulletin boards.
- Welcome to OU/Athens: Campus resources, favorite restaurants, things to do in Athens
- About your RA: Introduce yourself via Bulletin Board! Who you are, your major, favorite spots/places/food in Athens, hobbies, interests, etc. Some ideas can be found here
Brainstorm Opening Ice-Breakers and Program Ideas
- During your opening floor section meeting, you will want to do some ice-breakers to get your residents acclimated!
- Additionally, you'll want to think of some programs that you could do during the first couple weeks of school to socialize your residents and help them get acclimated to the residence hall and campus life
ARD Return: Sunday, July 31, 2016 (by 5 PM)
New RAs Return: Wednesday, August 3, 2016 (by 5 PM)
Returning RAs Return: Sunday, August 7, 2016 (by 1 PM)