The Red Bird Express
Building Our Future... One Child at a Time
November 30 - December 4, 2015
Quote of the Week...
"The strength of the team is each individual member. The strength of each member is the team." - Phil Jackson
Focusing on Our SIP - Mathematics Teaching Practices
The National Council of Teachers of Mathematics (NCTM) publication, Principles to Actions, highlights a core set of high-leverage practices and essential teaching skills necessary to promote deep learning of mathematics. This week's practice focuses on engaging students in meaningful mathematical discourse:
- Facilitate meaningful mathematical discourse. Effective teaching of mathematics facilitates discourse among students to build shared understanding of mathematical ideas by analyzing and comparing student approaches and arguments.
Number Talks & Meaningful Mathematical Discourse
It is imperative that we allow students to share and defend their solutions and strategies, providing opportunities to reason about numbers while building connections to key conceptual ideas in mathematics.
The Teacher’s Role with Number Talks
Knowing all answers are accepted, respected and considered, we must remember that wrong answers are often rooted in misconceptions. By allowing students to voice their ideas, it is then our job as facilitators to help students confront their thinking- connecting to a previously modeled, accurate strategy to build on meaningful mathematics.
Math Workshop Course
Details of the class:
- Class dates: 2/2, 2/9, 2/16, 2/23, 3/1
- The Spring catalog will come out December 19 and registration begins January 6th at 4pm
- All teachers that register will first be placed on the waitlist.
- Our teachers will have until January 13th at 4pm to register before teachers from other schools will be added.
- Counselor's Advisory Committee Meeting (8:00 - 8:40)
- Preschool Tiny Tots Concert Field Trip @ WSHS (9:30 - 11:30)
- SCA Meeting - Officers only (1:05 - 1:35)
- PTA Meeting (7:00 - 8:00)
- Kid Talk Meetings (9:25 - 3:50)
- Interims due to Karen and Satonya
- Meteorologist Visit - 2nd & 4th Grade (12:15 - 1:45)
- FAC Meeting (8:15 - 8:45)
- 6th Grade Field Trip to Irving MS - Fine Arts Performance (9:30 - 11:15)
- Team Leaders Meeting (8:00 - 8:45)
- Interims Go Home
- Strings Holiday Concert in the lobby (8:55 - 9:10)
- Band Concert in the gym (9:30 - 10:30)
- SCA meeting - All Reps & Officers (1:05 - 1:35)
- Holiday Singalong (9:30 - 10:30)
- 2 Hour Early Closing @ 1:55