Rockbrook Elementary School's Monthly News | Jan 2021
Winter Challenge Results
School Schedule for the Weeks Ahead
If you have any questions about what days your child is assigned to attend, please contact the office at 402.390.6475.
Drop Off and Pick Up Times
Breakfast: Students may enter at 8:05am
Drop Off: Students may arrive at 8:10am
(Please do not drop students off before this time unless they are coming in to eat breakfast.)
School Entry: Teachers bring students in at 8:20am
Our School Day Begins at 8:30
Dismissal: Regular Dismissal is at 3:30pm, 3:00 on Wednesdays (starting 1/20)
Martin Luther King Jr. Day - January 18th
Reviewing our Behavior Expectations
Winter Wear and Snow Gear
To ensure that students can both enjoy the snow and keep warm and dry once they come inside, we wanted to remind you of a few expectations for students wishing to play in the snow.
• Students need to wear proper coats, gloves, and hats. When temperatures are above 10º we will typically be going outside.
• If students wish to walk in deep snow, they will be expected to wear snow boots.
•For very deep snow or if students wish to roll and play in in the snow, students will need snow pants to ensure they stay warm and dry.
• If students wish to build with snow they must have gloves or mittens.
• When recess equipment is slick or wet, access may be restricted to promote student safety.
We appreciate your support in going over these expectations with your child. Teachers will do so as well so that students may have a fun and safe time during winter recess.
Rockbrook Community Club Updates
In lieu of a January meeting the Rockbrook Community Club’s Executive Committee met with Mr. Higginbotham on Wednesday, January 6th. The Group discussed upcoming events and how to work with current limitations due to school safety policies. Below are a few key topics discussed. We are currently waiting to see the transition to green status and whether in-person meetings will be permitted, however, we will plan to have virtual access regardless for the next meeting on February 2nd.
- Read-A-Thon – We are looking to have this annual fundraiser and focus on increasing student reading opportunities in February, expect more information soon.
- Staff Appreciation Week – Westside’s Staff Appreciation week will be March 22nd-26th. Thank you to all who have also contributed to monthly care gifts to all of the teachers and staff at Rockbrook including Jo on the Go, Dunkin Donuts, and a Hot Chocolate Bar. Community Club will look to continue these in the 2nd semester and show our amazing Rockbrook teachers how much we love them.
- Valentines Parties – These will be very similar to our Halloween Parties. At this time the school is not able to have visitors so Room Parents will be working to provide treats and activities the kids can enjoy.
- Parent-Teacher Communication – This will be March 11th and 12th and similar format to the first semester. Community Club typically provides meals for the teachers and may be reaching out for donations of things like sodas, snacks, and desserts to accompany.
- Additional Activities such as Spring Breakfast, Prom, Movie Nights, Parent Night Out, Art and Pizza Night, Fun Run, and Field Day were discussed and will be looked at again as we receive further updates on school and community safety procedures.
- 6th Grade Parents: Rockbrook traditionally likes to send our 6th graders on to the middle school in style. Please keep an eye out for information if you would like to help in planning ways to make the transition to middles school special. We will be looking for volunteers to help in planning t-shirts, a 6th-grade gift to the school, and if safety practices allow by then, the traditional pool party and breakfast.
Water Bottle Reminder
Kindergarten Enrollment for District Residents: February 1st - March 5th
Do you live in the District and have a child who will be ready for Kindergarten this fall? Do you know of other Westside residents with children who will be ready to start school in August?
Kindergarten enrollment for 2021-22 begins February 1. Parents of eligible students should go to westside66.org to begin the enrollment process as early as possible on or after February 1st.
Students entering kindergarten for 2021-22 must be five years old by July 31, 2021. Parents may opt to hold their children out of kindergarten for an additional year. However, Nebraska state law mandates that a child who reaches six years of age prior to January 1 of the then-current school year must be enrolled in school.
If you have questions, you may call the Westside Welcome Center at 402-390-2100.
Kindergarten Enrollment for Non-District Residents
If you live outside the District and have a child eligible for kindergarten who has a sibling currently attending a Westside elementary school through the Option Enrollment program, you must submit an Option Enrollment Application. Westside’s Office of Student Services must receive Option Enrollment Applications no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 15. The application form is available at the ABC Building (909 S. 76th Street) and our district website.
Under Option Enrollment statutes, first priority for admission is given to siblings who seek to attend in the District where an older sibling is already enrolled, provided an Option Enrollment form is submitted by March 15 and provided that there is space available in a requested building and grade level. If you have questions, you may call Julie at 402-390-2107.
Requirements for Early Admission to Kindergarten
In accordance with Nebraska Statute 79-214, the Westside Community Schools allows for admission of children residing in the District as early entrance kindergarteners through a locally designed testing program. Children of District residents who wish to be tested for early entrance must turn five between August 1 and October 15, 2021. For further information regarding early entrance to kindergarten, please call 402-390-3303.
Student In-District Transfer Request for the 2021-2022 School Year
If you are a District resident who would like your K-6 child(ren) to attend an elementary school other than the school that serves your attendance area for next school year, you must submit a completed In-District Transfer (IDT) Request form to the Office of Student Services for review.
The District gives priority to families living within the District prior to placing Option Enrollment applicants who reside outside the District. We must receive a Student In-District Transfer Request form no later than 4:00 p.m. on March 15 for your request to be considered prior to our placement of Option Enrollment students.
IDT forms are available at the ABC Building and our District website. Click here to complete the form electronically. An IDT request form must be completed for any child starting kindergarten next year who has one or more siblings currently attending a school outside their home attendance area. Transfers are approved or denied based on available space and other resources. If you have questions about the in- district transfer process, please call 402-390-2107.
iPad Chargers and Cables
As we move to Yellow Status, please help us out with iPad chargers and cables. Westside had to purchase more than 600 chargers and cables following last spring due to loss and damage. If you already have an Apple (lightning) style charger and cable at home, please have your child use this to charge their iPad. We will request that families pay for lost or damaged hardware, with chargers costing $20 and cables costing $10.
Welcome to Rockbrook Elementary - Home of the Bulldogs
The mission of Rockbrook Elementary School, a diverse community of learners, is to foster learning by providing a quality educational experience within a secure and challenging environment.