Family Newsletter-Back to School 2019
We hope you have had an enjoyable summer. Our new school year is just around the corner and we wanted to share some information with you to get the year started off right. We are anxiously awaiting the arrival of our students and families. We hope to see you at our Back to School Night/Meet and Greet this coming Wednesday from 4:00-5:30. See below for more information.
Mrs. Gina McLain
- Wed., Aug. 28th--Meet and Greet/Back to School Night, 4:00-5:30 PM (more info below)
- Tues., Sept. 3rd---First Day of School for Grades 1-6
- Thurs., Sept. 5th--First Day of School for Kindergarten
- Thurs., Sept 5th--Boo Hoo Yahoo! for Kinder parents, 7:45 in the cafeteria
- Mon., Sept 9th--Booster Club Mtg. 7:00-8:30 PM in the library
- Fri., Sept 20th--Booster Club Family Movie Night 5:30-8:00 PM
- Tues., Sept 24th--Picture Day! More info to come after school begins
Meet & Greet/Back to School Night
Welcome to the 2019-20 School Year!
We had two staff members seek out new positions in our district over the summer and will no longer be at Lenox. We wish them the very best!
- Ms. Heather McCullum has taken a position as an Instructional Coach at McKinney Elementary.
- Ms. Julie Mullavey has taken a part time position teaching 1st grade at West Union Elementary.
We have the addition of three new staff members at Lenox. Please give a warm welcome to:
- Ms. Karin Harrington, PE teacher
- Ms. Jessica Mendonca, EL Specialist
- Ms. Jennifer Bradshaw, 3rd grade teacher
Here are our teachers and grade level configurations for the new school year:
Kindergarten: Mrs. Evers, Mrs. Reamer & Mrs. Timmons
1st grade: Ms. Casey, Mrs. Gurney-Franco, Mrs. Scoble & Mr. Tesdal
2nd grade: Ms. French & Ms. Phelan
3rd grade: Ms. Bradshaw, Mrs. Sivula & Mrs. VanDyke
4th grade: Ms. Incrovato & Mrs. Laws
5th/6th* grade: Ms. Cairns, Mr. Kha, Mr. Jordan & Mrs. Zagyva
*Due to enrollment numbers and trying to keep classes as close to the HSD Board approved ratio of 31:1 in the intermediate grades, we will have four 5th/6th grade blended classrooms this year. With this model, our 5th and 6th grade teachers will be specializing in content areas, so students will have more than one teacher regardless of who their homeroom teacher is. With this model there are benefits and opportunities for:
- students to connect with multiple supportive adults in the school to ensure all students are known by name, strength, and need
- interacting with and respecting different teaching styles
- bridging the gap between elementary and middle school (structures, routines, etc.)
- collaboration with a larger teaching team which leads to greater differentiation and support for students
- growth in social and emotional learning and peer-to-peer relationships
- growth in students' responsibility of their learning
- building and continuing relationships with the same group of students from elementary to middle school
Lenox Bond Information
Construction is wrapping up for our Bond projects! Hooray!
Summer 2019 Project Updates
- Lenox received seismic, roofing and HVAC upgrades. Heat, air conditioning and direct digital controls (DDC) have been added to the upgraded HVAC system.
- Our new parking lot/parent drop off and bus dropoff areas will be completed this week and will ease traffic backup along Rock Creek Blvd., with the goals of increasing the safety of pedestrians and drivers as well as the efficiency and flow of traffic.
- New landscaping will be finished by the middle of this week with the final addition of grass and bark dust.
- New flexible furniture (FFE) has been delivered to the school. Research has shown that this type of furniture helps stimulate student engagement and learning.
- Other improvements include a new ADA accessible bathroom, new asphalt coat on our playground, interior security door in lobby, new paint throughout the building common areas, and new carpet in the music room and in our Counselor's office.
- School safety updates are still in progress
Stay tuned for more information regarding our parking lot/drop off arrival and dismissal routines and procedures. Please visit the HSD Bond website to see specifics for Lenox HERE