...and How to Manage it.
The Good and the Bad Side of Stress:
- Motivation (to get something done by a deadline, etc.)
- Going through a stressful situation can make it easier to deal with other stress later on.
I'm I stressed?
Here are a few symptoms of stress:
- Low energy
- Upset stomach
- Becoming easily agitated, moody
- Avoiding others
- Feeling Overwhelmed
Prevention of Stress
- Primary: Activities that prevent the occurrence of stress.
- Secondary: Screening and detection (symptoms have already appeared), meeting the needs of the stress.
- Tertiary: Recovering to previous state of being before the stress.
There are many defense mechanisms when it comes to stress:
- Repression- getting rid of any memories that are displeasing or painful.
- Regression- Returning to a less devolved state (E.x: sucking thumb, sleeping with a stuffed animal)
- Denial- Refusing that something is happening
- Compensation- Making up for something by excelling in another part of life.
Managing the Stress
There are many ways to managing stress. This includes:
- Guided Imagery
The key is to try multiple techniques till you find one that fits you!