Jackson R-2 Attendance
Directions to check your child's attendance
JR2 Attendance Flowchart
The Jackson R-2 Attendance Flowchart is a new process this school year and with lots of sickness going around, I thought it might be helpful to remind families of the various steps and show families how to check their child's attendance record.
My child is sick - what do I do?
Contact the school via phone -
- Jackson High School - 243-9513
- Jackson Junior High School - 243-9533
- Jackson Middle School - 243-9543
- East Elementary - 243-5271
- South Elementary - 243-9575
- North Elementary - 243-9590
- West Lane Elementary - 243-9565
- Orchard Drive Elementary - 243-9555
- Millersville Attendance Center - 243-9585
- Gordonville Attendance Center - 243-9580
If your student goes to the doctor, please have your student bring a doctor's excuse with them when they return or have the doctor's office fax a copy to the following number -
- Jackson High School - 243-9524
- Jackson Junior High School - 243-9584
- Jackson Middle School - 243-9545
- East Elementary - 243-5343
- South Elementary - 243-9574
- North Elementary - 243-9591
- West Lane Elementary - 243-9572
- Orchard Drive Elementary - 243-9559
- Millersville Attendance Center - 243-9588
- Gordonville Attendance Center - 243-9582
What absences are excused?
There are a handful of absences that are excused -
- Sickness that results in a doctor's visit (please send the excuse to the office)
- Sickness or injury that results in the school nurse sending the student home
- A death in the student's immediate family (funeral homes will provide a school excuse that you can then send in or you can send a copy of the obituary)
- Dental or Orthodontist appointments (please send the excuse to the office)
There are a variety of ways that absences are coded in Parent Portal.
- X - items marked with an X are considered excused (see above for examples of excused absences). These absences are included in your child's total attendance for the school year but are not considered when making a referral to the prosecuting attorney.
- F - items marked with an F are considered excused as they are a school related field trip. These absences are not included in your child's total attendance for the school year and are not considered when making a referral to the prosecuting attorney.
- L - Late - the student was late (or tardy) to school
- E - Early Sign Out - the student left early for the day
- V - Verified - a parent contacted the school to let us know why the student is absent (examples may include but not limited to not feeling well, out of town, vacation, personal business)
- A - Absent - the student is absent and we are unsure why, parents have not notified the school, or any absence after 7 days without a doctor's excuse or school nurse verification
Combination of Unexcused Absences are Used When Moving Through the Flowchart
Each step is identified by days absent OR hours missed. A school day is 6.5 hours.
Step 1 is 3 days OR 21 hours. Students can miss 3 full days OR a combination of days/hours to equal 21 (or higher). For example, if a student has missed 2 full days (so 13 hours) and then has been late to school or signed out early 8 times, they would be step 1 on the flowchart.
Absences coded with an X (excused) are included in your child's total attendance for the school year but are not considered when making a referral to the prosecuting attorney.
Monitoring your child's attendance is vital in order to ensure that absences are coded appropriately. While the secretaries can provide you with this information, you can also monitor their days through the Parent Portal.
Step by Step Directions -
- Log in to Parent Portal
- On the far left, click Attendance
Overview of the Report
There is a lot of information on the screen once you get in to the Attendance Report. To help you understand each section, here is a quick overview -
- Orange Circle - shows the total days and hours that the student has missed for the entire school year
- Yellow Triangle - shows the dates that the student was absent, signed in late, or was signed out early for the day. If you click the drop down carrot beside the date, you will get a more detailed report on each date.
- Green Star - shows the codes that were used (see above for coding information)
- Red Square - shows the days or hours that the student has missed, broken down by date. These are used when calculating steps through the flowchart.