Volume 3 Issue 5
The students are also given a lot of opportunities for choice when designing their murals. Choice in writing and drawing can bring an array of experiences from our students who are from other countries. Educators that can connect to students' experiences within the context of the classroom/content are setting those students up for achievement and success!
1. Involve students in actively developing their understanding of words and ways to learn them.
2. Encourage students to personalize their word learning.
3. Immerse students in rich language environments that draw their attention to learning words.
4. Provide students with multiple sources of information to learn words through repeated exposures.
We know many of you are hard at work identifying English Learners with the Kindergarten WAPT and WIDA Screener, as well as preparing for WIDA ACCESS. Below are helpful reminders and resources to assist with this process:
- Incoming new students who need to take K-WAPT or the Online Screener will need to be screened prior to taking WIDA ACCESS. Remember that second semester means Kindergarten students will take all parts of K-WAPT and all other grades will be tested with the screener for the grade level in which they are enrolled. (For example, 1st grade will take the Grade 1 online screener, 2nd-Grade 2-3 screener, 4th-Grade 4-5 screener, 6th-Grade 6-8 screener, 9th-Grade 9-12 screener)
- The ACCESS for ELLs Online Checklist for Indiana is a comprehensive resource to keep you on track for ACCESS testing. Included within are step-by-step directions to ensure smooth testing, links to testing manuals and guides, contact info, and more.
- WIDA-AMS has now been updated with students included in the Test Label (TL) submission in October. You are now able to edit and add additional students who were not submitted through the TL. Please contact Kim Jovic or the EL Department with questions regarding AMS.
- Testing materials arrived at your school during winter break. You are now able to order additional materials via WIDA-AMS.
- ILP accommodations do not apply for WIDA ACCESS testing.
- Testing accommodations for WIDA ACCESS should be determined and documented by the IEP committee (including the EL teacher or designee).
- See the 2018-2019 Accessibility & Accommodations Guidance