Week of February 1st
Happy Birthday Wishes
No birthdays this week
HAPPY COUNSELOR APPRECIATION WEEK!!!!!
Weekly Calendar Highlights
· Fire Drill @ 8:45/1:30
· Self-Contained Teacher Meeting to discuss T-Tess Evaluation @ 11:30 in Barbara Keith’s Room
· Curriculum Conversations – 11:05-11:30 in Room 416
· McDonald’s Night – 5:00-8:00 – Rufe Snow & 1709
· ECH Admin Meeting - 8:30-9:30 @ Annex – Christy Out
· Letter Land Site Visit at HES – 8:00-11:30 – ELA Action Team Designees
· Admin Meeting – 11:00-12:00 – Ed. Center – Christy Out
· Faculty Meeting – 3:35-4:35 (Kevin Hood will be here to visit about the opening of new ELC and hold a Q&A.)
· Feb. 15th PD Planning with Curriculum Design Team and PD Presenters – Tentatively scheduled for 1:00-2:00 @ Basswood Elementary (This will be embedded in the Curriculum Planning day already scheduled on this day.)
· Communication Universal Screening Meeting w/ Karin – 11:30-12:30 @ Annex – Christy Out
· 100th Day of School – Parade @ 10:15 & 2:30. Don’t forget…Students and Staff are encouraged to dress 100 years old to celebrate being “100 Days Smarter!” Also make sure you have a sign out sheet in your room for parents who wish to take their children after the parade. Remember they must have a stamp on their name tag to be able to take them early. If not, they must return to the desk before taking their child out of class.
· Speech Inclusion Meeting – (Speech Teachers & Gen. Ed Speech Inclusion Teachers) @ 1:00-2:00 in Speech room
· Special Ed. / Admin Meeting – 2:30-3:30 @ Annex – Christy Out
This Week's Annoucements
Feb. 15th PD Day
We are currently planning our Professional Development for Monday, Feb. 15th.
First, we are planning a "make & take it" style session on developing your teacher websites in Canvas. The new sites are expected to go live "Mid-February" so embedding this in the day will ensure we are all ready. Below is the link to join the Canvas Help Community. The Technology Action Team will guide you through setting up your basic site on this day, but you need to visit the site below to have your username and password so you are ready to go!
Second, we will focus on our new Curriculum. We will look more closely at UbD, Understanding by Design, as it relates to collaborative planning and offer 3 differentiated sessions for you to choose from. We will also embed a make & take it section in all 3 break out sessions to create a curriclum binder with common planning materials. Sessions will be highlighted during the faculty meeting this week and then be available for you to sign up according to interest/need.
The second meeting will occur on Feb. 18th and 19th. This meeting is a "kid talk" data talk in which we will look at your students identified as Tier 3 and the intervention plan you have developed for each of them. Please bring a hard copy for Cathy and I to the meeting. An electronic copy of the Intervention Plan Template is attached to this posting on Cub Hub.
Looks like we are in need of one more volunteer for the 7:00-8:00 time slot. Please sign up midday today if possible.
MOY Communication Universal Screener
We are hearing that you are experiencing issues with MOY assessments. We are in touch with the assessment department and trouble shooting why you are only seeing BOY and no option for MOY, stay tuned.....
Red Hot Reminders
Reminder that EQ Time is due by March 1, 2016. There are many opportunities in Eduphoria Workshop for EQ time. Go to Eduphoria Workshop and click on Workshop and then click on 15-16 Differentiated PD for classes that will count as EQ time.
Mid-Year SPED Transition Staffing:
At this time all students in their 4 year old year should have a completed staffing form completed and submitted within Google Forms. Diags are currently cross-checking that information for us and will begin scheduling ARDs if you indicated one was needed. At this time, you should be working on students in their bonus or 3 year old year. The Google Doc link is embedded in the email originally sent out by Christy and is DUE February Feb. 12th
Faculty Meeting Change
Dr. Hood, Dr. Hahn, and Karin will join me at the next faculty meeting to address/answer some of the questions generated at our last faculty meeting. In order for them all to be here, we need to make a slight change in faculty meeting dates. We will now meet on Wednesday, Feb. 3rd, not Thursday, Feb. 4th. This change will be made on the master calendar.
9 Ways to be a Positive Communicator by Jon Gordon
Febrary is all about LOVE and love is all about COMMUNICATION.
Check out 9 ways to be a Positive Communicator from Jon Gordon, world renowed
author, motivational speaker, and life coach. Below are 3 of the 9. More to come in February's JJ!
1. Shout Praise, Whisper Criticism -
This phrase comes from the original Olympic Dream Team and Detroit Pistons coaches Chuck Daily and Brendan Suhr. They won NBA Championships and an Olympic Gold medal with a lot of talent and great communication. They gained the trust of their players and built winning teams by praising in public and constructively criticizing in private. Shouting praise means you recognize someone in front of their peers and whispering criticism means you coach them to get better. Both build better people and teams.
2. Smile More -
When you share a real smile it not only produces more serotonin in your brain but in the brain of the recipient of your smile. Just by smiling at someone you are giving them a dose of serotonin, an anti-depressant. Never underestimate the power of a smile. As a positive communicator you have the power to make someone feel better just by smiling.
3. Don't Complain -
When you complain you lose power, effectiveness and credibility as a communicator and leader. Most of all complaining is toxic and sabotages you and your team. Complaining is like vomiting. Afterwards you feel better but everyone around you feels sick. I know it's a gross analogy but you’ll never forget it.
For more information about Jon Gordon, click on the link below...