Serena Sucarato/Bailey Hachey
What is it?
What it effects?
Over time, the symptoms of cystic fibrosis can worsen and may include:
- Pancreatitis, a painful inflammation of the pancreas
- Liver disease
Continue reading below...
What causes Cystic Fibrosis?
How is it inherited?
Every person inherits two CFTR genes—one from each parent. Children who inherit a faulty CFTR gene from each parent will have CF.
Children who inherit one faulty CFTR gene and one normal CFTR gene are "CF carriers." CF carriers usually have no symptoms of CF and live normal lives. However, they can pass the faulty CFTR gene to their children.
how to treat cystic fibrosis?
Cystic fibrosis (CF) has no cure. However, treatments have greatly improved in recent years. The goals of CF treatment include:
- Preventing and controlling lung infections
- Loosening and removing thick, sticky mucus from the lungs
- Preventing or treating blockages in the intestines
- Providing enough nutrition
- Preventing dehydration (a lack of fluid in the body)